CAD Recommendation

Hi comptonnut, I have move your post as the list was for just listings of softwares. The first recommendation would be Sketchup as it is free and easy to start with. Let us know a bit about what you are trying to achieve? and maybe more advice can be given.

Thanks

Hi BoE

I'm looking - eventually - to make up some Dace wagons in N gauge, probably using an appropriate readily available chassis if a suitable compromise can be found.  I haven't got the drawings to hand to see what would suffice.

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/Z-Tops-codes/ZCV-Dace-spoil-wagon/

I have comprehensive 3D building experience within the virtual world "Second Life" but you cannot build things and export files from SL - as I'm sure within a couple of hours in SL I could easily build up the body as it is relatively simple, and being N gauge much of the smaller detail would be lost anyway.

Eventually the file would be exported and sent off to a 3D printers for production - and once a master is proven based on the price I will decide whether to continue 3D printing or look into getting resin copies made.  As a south-western engineering block train typically you'd get a whole bunch of these running together.

• 3 weeks later...

Cromptonnut, if you've got a grasp of computer modelling techniques you may find that Designspark works for you. I've been using 3DsMax for the virtual world modelling and when designspark was demonstrated it looked pretty straight forward to pick up.

Archived