Blog- halfwit's Blog - Judith Edge Steelman Royale body handrails and roof.

RSS Fetcher

There are 5 handrails attached to the body, 2 at the front, 2 at the back and 1 on the bonnet top. All very straightforward. I differed from the instructions by adding them after the radiater front and fuel tank rear were soldered in place, the instructions reccomend fitting the handrails first. I did get to use my Bil Bedford handrail bending jig for the first time.

The cab roof was formed by rolling it on my thigh with the handle of my 3 sided scraper. Iain Rice describes this method in his 'Etched Loco Construction' book so its not my bodge... As the bend was being formed the flat sides were being along the fold line so it only took a little work in the Hold & Fold to finish the profile off. The rainstrips are half etched along the sides and proved to be a little more tricky. I scribed a light fold line then held the very edge in a Bug and carefully bent the edge up.

blogentry-6749-12646177230176_thumb.jpg

I didn't try to bend the edge all the way up just enough to give the right impression.

blogentry-6749-12646178673702_thumb.jpg

Turned out quite well I think.

blogentry-6749-12646179479941_thumb.jpg

Notice that the exhaust has been added in the above photo, this has 45 degree corners. I didn't make a great job of this and had to do a bit of fettling to make it fit. Probably the result of trying to do too much in one session...

View the full article

Archived