7mm Wagon Wheels

Hello people.

First time posting on this forum, so please be kind. I moved up to 7mm scale from OO9 about tweleve months ago & have built my first loco & three wagons, all from brass kits (Connoissure & Dragon - both very good). All the wheels for these kits have been chemically blackend as reccommended here. I'am now at painting stage having started on the loco, which I've stripped down to bare chassis, wheels etc being removed but I'm unsure as to how to proceed with the wagons. Do you paint the wheels or not ? If not how do you mask them & at what stage do you remove the masking. Your input will be much appreciated.

Fredwrekin

• RMweb Premium

I just brush paint the outside face of my wheels either dirty black or some sort of sleeper grime type colour.   I've yet to see a wagin with a clean wheel rim apart from in builders photos.

I just make sure that it stays on the outside face and doesn't spread onto the running surface.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys. What I should have said in my opening post is that I'm spray painting ( rattle can primer & air brushing). I've since spoke to some at O Gauge Guild who have also advised not to paint the wheel tread, so its out with masking tape & onwards.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies guys. What I should have said in my opening post is that I'm spray painting ( rattle can primer & air brushing). I've since spoke to some at O Gauge Guild who have also advised not to paint the wheel tread, so its out with masking tape & onwards.

Tape can be a real pain.  Maskol is much easier to use.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived