Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Help with re-scaling images.

Hey,

Excuse the rather dumb question, I use IrfanView to re-scale the many scale diagrams I have of a lot of railway stuff. I want to have them printed also to scale. There is the option on IrfanView and I have changed to size to my requirements. My doubt lies here - if I print out that re-scaled image will it automatically come to the size I want? When I uploaded that image to sketchup I expected it to be the desired size but it was far from that (I checked over and over again). Luckily on sketchup it's easy to re-scale but I don't want to go on wasting paper till I get the printed one to size.

Regards,
Jeff.

I generally use the ruler in Photoshop.  Find a known dimension, ideally one with guide lines on the drawing such as part of the wheel-base.  For simplicity I also try to go for one that is a round result in 4mm scale (ie 8'6" rather than 7'4").  The ruler is an option behind the dropper tool in the toolbar, right click to change the options there.  Then I calculate the formula neded to get the drawing to the right scale and then apply that calculation to the Image Size with Constrain Proportions ticked.  I also print from Photoshop using Print Options first to get the paper orientation and check it will print at 100% (Scale Print Size).  After printing I check some key dimensions with a ruler.

Another option is to use a programme like Inkscape (free).  Mike Trice on here describes how to use the layer facility to set guides at a known dimension and then rescale a drawing embedded in the layer below using that known dimension.  Mike says he use this method as a standard for rescaling.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80563-introduction-to-using-inkscape-to-produce-cutting-files/page-2

I've never printed from Inkscape so can't comment further.

Archived