Using 'Experts Choice' laser printer decal film

Good morning;

I am creating my own decal set for the trolleybus model I'm building, I have used the inkjet film in the past with fairly good results, but now have a Hewlett Packard CP1215 laser printer.

I've bought the correct type of decal film and am beavering away with the artwork, what I was wondering is if anyone who has used this stuff can recommend the correct type of lacquer or varnish to seal the decals before cutting and application?

I would generally use a clear rattlecan lacquer with the inkjet sheets, and wonder if this is the correct type of coating for the laser film, as I want a more satin finish I would probably overcoat once dry with a light airbrushed coat of Humbrol clear satin once the sealing coat is thoroughly dry.

Any comments or advice is welcome!

Thanks

Dave

Technically, you don't need to seal them before application. The laser printer works by fusing a kind of plastic powder to the paper, so the output is already waterproof, whereas inkjet inks are usually water based, hence the need to seal them.

Any varnish should do the job, if you want to seal them before application.

Thanks for the info there Martin, I will give them a light coat of Humbrol satin to dull them down a little; I'll rearrange the items on my artwork as there's some elements that need to be matt to represent cloth, but I reckon I'll get the whole lot on one sheet.

Cheers again

David

Archived