More GWR tenders!

If ever there was a more confusing topic, I haven't found it! (though I haven't got round to building any coaches yet!) 

So I'm fairly clear on most of the differences between most tenders now - however there are a few things I'd like to clear up.

We will start with the Hornby/Dapol/Mainline Dean Goods, which is a 3000gallon type with a D shaped filler and dome and flares rather than rails. I have never seen a photo of such a tender - can anyone confirm that they did actually exist, if they lasted into the BR era and whether any were on the Cambrian section.

Secondly, 3500g Churchward etc tenders. I've seen photos where the rear buffer beam is wider than the steps, yet all the RTR models seem to have it ending inline with them. Any real examples of this?

Lastly, 2500g types. This question reads as the first really, with regards to D shaped fillers. I have only one good view and it shows conventional separate items, as does the only drawing I have of one.

The 3000 gallon type behind the dean goods later had the combined D shape filler replaced by a separate dome and filler on later years the sole remaining example is behind City of Truro.

The 2500 type I think had the D shape filler changed but am not too sure will have to check photos, the sole remaining example is behind the Dean Goods at Swindon. both types originally had rails replaced in later years by solid fenders.

The 3000 gallon type behind the dean goods later had the combined D shape filler replaced by a separate dome and filler on later years the sole remaining example is behind City of Truro.

The 2500 type I think had the D shape filler changed but am not too sure will have to check photos, the sole remaining example is behind the Dean Goods at Swindon. both types originally had rails replaced in later years by solid fenders.

Interesting, do we know if the one at Swindon with 2516 is the one that was paired with 2516 when running? It did have a 2500g tender, but when sat at Swindon after withdrawal it had somehow acquired a ROD tender!

Archived