To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

The case for Sn2

• RMweb Premium

I am making a tentative start on a narrow gauge model railway using 1/64 scale models on 9mm gauge track. I've bought some Peco code 60 rail and some 4mm wide copper clad strip. A brief inspection shows commercial N gauge, HOe and 00-9 wheels will run on this without fouling the sleepers. I've also bought some sheets of foam board A1 size, some Setrack HOe points to make a fiddle yard/passing loop, and now my first 1/64 scale building is nearly finished. I've had a brief correspondence with the proprietor of Worsley Works, and they might be able to etch me some of their parts at 1/64 - perhaps a diesel loco and some carriage sides.  I've realised my Mintrains Plymouth diesel could get a taller cab and become some kind of rail tractor, and I have a Graham Farish 'Hall' chassis minus its bogie needing a body and to be put to use.

This all seems really good ... perhaps too good to be true. I rather like the idea of Sn2 because I can have a continuous run in the space I have, the scale seems pleasant to work in (for a building anyway), and it should be possible to make a well-proportioned model layout without the large amounts of compression I see in some 0-16.5 arrangements. But a search on Google suggest few people do Sn2 ... is there a terrible pit I'm about to fall into? I'm happy to start with a freelance model, and try some scale models of real prototypes as I get more practice.

- Richard.

I am making a tentative start on a narrow gauge model railway using 1/64 scale models on 9mm gauge track. I've bought some Peco code 60 rail and some 4mm wide copper clad strip. A brief inspection shows commercial N gauge, HOe and 00-9 wheels will run on this without fouling the sleepers. I've also bought some sheets of foam board A1 size, some Setrack HOe points to make a fiddle yard/passing loop, and now my first 1/64 scale building is nearly finished. I've had a brief correspondence with the proprietor of Worsley Works, and they might be able to etch me some of their parts at 1/64 - perhaps a diesel loco and some carriage sides.  I've realised my Mintrains Plymouth diesel could get a taller cab and become some kind of rail tractor, and I have a Graham Farish 'Hall' chassis minus its bogie needing a body and to be put to use.

This all seems really good ... perhaps too good to be true. I rather like the idea of Sn2 because I can have a continuous run in the space I have, the scale seems pleasant to work in (for a building anyway), and it should be possible to make a well-proportioned model layout without the large amounts of compression I see in some 0-16.5 arrangements. But a search on Google suggest few people do Sn2 ... is there a terrible pit I'm about to fall into? I'm happy to start with a freelance model, and try some scale models of real prototypes as I get more practice.

Richard,

Try Googling "Sn2 trains" (or varients) for a start. Plus, here are some links:

Sn2 Trains: http://sn2trains.com/

Sandy River boxcar in Sn2: http://modelersguild.com/magazine/follow-the-build/scratch-builds/a-sandy-river-a-rangeley-lakes-inspired-boxcar-in-sn2

Sn2 Yahoo List: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Sn2_Trains/info

S Narrow Gauge Sn2: http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/snarrow.html

Mainly American I'm afraid, but enough to get you thinking. Otherwise (like most S scale modelling) it's up to you to make it up as you go along - which is half the fun of course! Good luck and let us see your end result! (or progress along the way)

Richard,

You're not the first - I do remember someone modelling Welsh narrow gauge in S some years ago.  :D   But it should be a good scale to work in primarily since you do have a ready supply of power units, etc from N scale products.  Since you are building your own track,  could I suggest that you might consider modelling to 2mmFS track standards rather than N scale track standards.  The 2mmFS track gauge of 9.42mm is equivalent to 1' 11 3/4",  and if you join the 2mm Society,  there is a very well stocked parts department with a lot of wheels,  gears,  track parts, etc.,  which would suit you very well,  probably better than trying to use what's available in N scale.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/standards/basicstd.htm

The page for 2mm Society products is here

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/

I don't think you will be going down a blind alley.  You will be using a lot of components which are readily available - be they N scale or 2mmFS ones and if you are going to do a lot of scratchbuilding,  it doesn't really matter what scale you model in.  And as you've found out,  places like Worsley Works can re-scale etches for S scale at quite reasonable prices.

And don't worry about being out of step with other S scale modellers - hardly any S scale modeller in the UK models the same thing. :D

Jim.

Richard, I have a possible suitable etch if you are interested.  It is based on a freelance version of "Lady Armstrong" produced by "Backwoods Miniatures" aimed at Sn3 but never produced commercially - an abandoned project by Pete.  He only produced 8 etches and some brass castings which I obtained to save them being scraped.  I have built one (won a bronze award and the "Best UK Prototype" model at this years NZAMRC's convention}, with two etches left, only one set of brass castings though! Image available soon when I have fully recovered from my 34 hours travelling!

Although for Sn3 could certainly be placed on a a Sn2 power pack.  The model is not standard gauge full size, but smaller as it relates to Sn3.

Get back to me if interested

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I want to stay with 9mm N gauge standards to begin with, because it retains interoperability with my other layouts. I have a dormant N gauge layout 'Lakeside' (link in signature block) and I never ballasted the track ... I could convert it to workable Sn2 by removing one over bridge, and change the track and buildings later.

There are a lot of leads to ideas here, thank you to everyone.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

Have you looked at the stuff by TeeBee on Shapeways. He has a few 3D-printed models for Sn2.

Yes, a rather promising selection! I have ordered up a 3D print of his diesel-electric railbus, my thinking is this is not the train I really want, but it lets me get something complete and running fairly quickly, and it will be good for setting up the loading gauge and getting a sense for the general feel of a layout.

- Richard.

Ah so you are the one that bought that !

I've been thinking about this scale for a while, made a few wagons in it over 2 years ago, but had had difficulty finding suitable wheels. Have solved this now  by making my own. It does seem to be a nice scale to work in, noticeably bigger than 009, but still not taking up too much space.  

It may be the scale I end up making my forthcoming demo layout in, in which case expect a few more new items!

Tom

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

When the railcar body arrived, it seemed a bit undernourished to me, perhaps 1:70 scale rather than 1:64. I asked Tom to make me one 10% bigger all round and this is now a working model with a floor and a chassis. I've posted an account of construction on Narrow Gauge Modelling Online. I have also made three S scale buildings, though this is hardly related to Sn2 ... but I do think, one month on, this is a marvellous scale for making your own models. I've put off 'S' for too long.

- Richard.

Archived