Authentic or what?

34theletterbetweenB&D

The mazak of this model is so soft I can 'nibble' it off between my finger nails where it broke. This is unusual as I understand mazak rot, it hasn't expanded that I can detect, just gone weak. I have 'repaired' the model by using evostick to glue the broken off end to the underside of the cab floor moulding, a very temporary expedient. Wonder how long it will be before more crumbling occurs?

• RMweb Premium

Which running number is it?  I've got one which is numbered D5511, and a couple which started out as D5640, and as far as I know none of these are affected.  I believe the green one which WAS affected by Mazak rot was D5512, and D5511 was produced as a replacement for this model.  I hope I'm not about to be proved wrong, but I gave D5511 a run yesterday, and it was extremely reluctant to get above about 30mph even on full throttle, which may also be realistic but I hope isn't symptomatic of internal problems of which I'm so far unaware!

Mine that has just broken is a 5512, bought new at first release. I have a second chassis out of a 5512, which was bought s/h dirt cheap with the ends broken off; this has been cobbled together to power an old Airfix body (which looks so much more like a Ped than Hornby's attempt) and has run perfectly the last four years.

My longer term game plan for the crumbly mazak is to ditch the mazak casting and rebuild the drive line components on a thick plate of brass. Did this many years ago with an Atlas chassis, to alter distance between bogie centres, it really isn't that difficult since the parts alignment is not critical.

You might get some rebuild commissions 34...

It's a sad state of affairs, a generally decent product, Mazak rot and less than prolific output of models..

I'd like to see Bachmann do one TBH

Archived