Updating my Controller

noctilux2

I am considering upgrading my original Bachmann EZ Controller to a Gaugemaster Prodigy outfit. One thing I have concern over is will I need to reassign existing addresses on the Prodigy or will it simply recognise those previously set on the EZ?

Basically, if it is 7 on the EZ will it also be 7 on the Prodigy or will each loco need to be readdressed? Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

Any identity that you've already given to e decoder - loco or accessory - is stored on the decoder and not on the controller. Consequently you shouldn't need to change any identities (as far as I am aware).

I am considering upgrading my original Bachmann EZ Controller to a Gaugemaster Prodigy outfit. One thing I have concern over is will I need to reassign existing addresses on the Prodigy or will it simply recognise those previously set on the EZ?

Basically, if it is 7 on the EZ will it also be 7 on the Prodigy or will each loco need to be readdressed? Thanks in advance.

Before you buy, get a demo on the NCE system.

It's brilliant. You'll never look back.

The numbers used (by the USER) for ACCESSORY DECODERS CAN VARY between systems:   This is because some Central Controllers start with '0' and others with '1'...(for CV1)

The result is that Accessory Decoders moved between those systems will either INCREASE or DECREASE by 4 (when 'a number' controls 'an output pair Left or Right)

It is is not a great problem unless you have a modular layout, and take your module to join with other modules to form a larger layout, and the larger layout uses such a differerent Controller.  [Yes, it happened to me at a show last year ..... I usually use Roco Multimaus, but since this does not allow any analogue loco, and friends wanted to run analogue as well as digital, I had to swap to my Massoth Controller .... which 'moved' the outputs by 4.

There is nothing wrong or non-standard about this effect - it is simply the USER INTERFACE designer choosing a different starting point. On yet other controllers, the numbering is done in 8's with 'single' outputs, and not pairs: perhaps as 'Accessory Decoder 1, Outputs A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H for example.   It's origins are in the 'strange' way that the NMRA numbering system evolved, the assumption that decoders will be in blocks of 4 pairs, and some people do not like to start counting from '0', but from '1'

So if their first Accessory Decoder is addressed by CV1=1, for outputs 1,2,3,4, CV1=2 gives 5,6,7,8 etc .... but on another system the designer has chosen CV1=0 for 1,2,3,4

then the decoder programmed with CV1=1 will respond to (USER) addresses 5,6,7,8  and so on .... and offset of 4 pairs.  ... and vice versa.

Phil,  don't confuse the original poster with the accessory stuff.   The EZ is simple simple, it does 10 locos and nothing else.  There won't be any accessories to worry about.

Phil: Answers should be correct and informative, and to more than just the orginal poster:

The Subject Heading upon which poterntial readers select a topic to read did not/does not contain the restriction to the simple EZ Controller - making it a more generic topic for most readers.

The first response made regretably contained incorrect information which had not been corrected.

It is not a good idea to propogate misconceptions which might get used as a reference later!

Ok, I overlooked the original 'EZ' reference, because the replies which followed referred to accessory decoders as well.

Anyone not wishing to read my post, can simply skip over it.  

At least it contains accurate information which is ALSO poosibly applicable to secondhand purchases of pre-used Accessory Decoders.

Archived