'Caution - Weak Bridge' sign

Del

A friend of mine has just brought up a very good point.
She was on a train that passed a sign saying 'Caution - Weak Bridge' and her point was that it's useless, because by the time a driver sees that sign, if the train is too heavy it's too late (and your train shouldn't be there anyway), and if it's not too heavy it's not a problem.
So, when is the 'Weak Bridge' sign meant to be used, what exactly does it denote and who is it supposed to inform?

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine has just brought up a very good point.

She was on a train that passed a sign saying 'Caution - Weak Bridge' and her point was that it's useless, because by the time a driver sees that sign, if the train is too heavy it's too late (and your train shouldn't be there anyway), and if it's not too heavy it's not a problem.

So, when is the 'Weak Bridge' sign meant to be used, what exactly does it denote and who is it supposed to inform?

Sounds like something for the benefit of the p-way department / other engineering departments when working with heavy plant in the locality

Possibly a bridge that was formerly double tracked, or four tracked, and one or more tracks have been removed,

alongside the track(s) that are currently still in use the remaining structure is unsafe.

I think the bridge at Bristol East Depot (departing Bristol towards Bath) is/was like that

the former up loop and up reception lines were long ago removed, the remaining bridge deck was in very poor condition,

cheers

I think the bridge at Bristol East Depot (departing Bristol towards Bath) is/was like that

the former up loop and up reception lines were long ago removed, the remaining bridge deck was in very poor condition,

The bridge is still there, but large chunks of the deck are now missing entirely.

The bridge is still there, but large chunks of the deck are now missing entirely.

Thanks, I do not often travel that way now.

I think there used to be a warning sign of some similar description at the west end of that bridge, 

cheers

Archived