SIPHON F dia O7 underframe fittings

Does anyone have a drawing or information giving the location of Vacuum fittings (V hangers, DC brake ratchets) etc under an 07 Siphon F?

The large V hangers for the rod connected to the brake cylinders seems straighforward, but I cant work out if there is one common rod for the DC ratchets.  Photos of models show the DC levers to be different hands on opposite sides.

I recently purchased a badly made up K's Siphon F for £2 (!), after a swim in brake fluid the thick gloss green paint is off and I've sorted out the poorly fitted roof.   The underframe had some of the components, but the Vac cylinders were cleearly in the wrong place.

There are two small battery box like items too - they are about 11mm x 6mm (but the van has gas tanks for the lights)

I've found the rm web posts listing which vans had which bogies, and also the picture at http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.net/r143.html.

This photo of the centre portion of 1543 shows the vehicle is fitted with a lower stepboard, on and between the bogies, than vans with 9'American bogies (which I have). Are these 9’ volute bogies.

But there is no brake lever discernable.   Was it on the end of this vehicle?

There are photos and a drawing in Slinn & Clarke, GW Siphons. The photo in you link shows the first one as built in 1906 without any handbrake, these were "fitted later", though I don't know exactly when. The upper step board was cut away to accommodate the handle. There is a common shaft for the levers, it's a form of DC2, so they rotate in different directions on either side. The bogies in your linked photo are 9' volute type.

Nick

Archived