50s/60s lineside cabling

lash

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone help please

I am looking for details of 50s and early 60s third rail cabling and equipment

My memories on the Portsmouth direct route are of cables possibly in some form of ducting but elevated on short posts. I see glimpes of these in photos but little more

Can anyone point me in the right direction please

I don't remember seeing many good pics of the raised cable routes, however we still have some evidence in situe in Kent. These were for carrying the HV feeder and pilot cables since moved into surface troughing. Taken at North Halling LC.

post-1373-0-95325900-1399926750_thumb.jpg

Below a bit of the support wood, the cables were encased in wood sections like the DC 750v trackside cables in early times.

post-1373-0-21835700-1399926780_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone help please

I am looking for details of 50s and early 60s third rail cabling and equipment

My memories on the Portsmouth direct route are of cables possibly in some form of ducting but elevated on short posts. I see glimpes of these in photos but little more

Can anyone point me in the right direction please

To add to the posts above, this w/site I came across this morning,  not a lot     ...Cable conduits

• 9 months later...

Gents

The 1930s SR electrification schemes used wooden cable enclosures in two modes:

- wooden boxes, about 10" square cross section, made up of planks top, bottom and sides, heavily creosoted and held together with brass screws, mounted by galvanised steel brackets onto concrete posts. These carried the high voltage (33kV) and pilot (control and protection) cabling; and,

- wooden trunkings, about 5" square cross section, made up of two bulks of heavily creosoted timber, each with a semi-circular hollow milled out. The two baulks fitted together, more brass screws, to form a protection for DC cables laid on the surface of the ballast.

Both types were a great nuisance from a fire point of view: on a dry day, one fag butt thrown from a train window, and a crumpled copy of Evening Star were enough to start a good old conflagration. They were largely eliminated during the 1970s/80s, as cables were replaced with modern types.

Kevin

Archived