Bachmann Sound 37 - Its sounds great but no movement.

Lady_Ava_Hay

I am not sure if Bachmann fitted loco's can be operated on normal DC, if so

perhaps try a test. You may not get the sound but it should move?

cheers

Keit

ESU decoders operate quite well on DC. You only get sound when you open the throttle and, usually, all functions are lost.

TheOP's problem defintely sounds mechanical. The ESU decoder won't play engine sounds unless there is a motor connected. The fact that the motor hums means that power is getting through.

My money is on a screw or other piece of detritus jammed in the works.

I'm a little stuck. Having just recently bought a Bachmann Class 37 with Sound, it was working fine, and sounds brilliant on my layout. I came to do some testing with the Kadees, and I got the sound working but it wouldn't move. The motor just hums quite loudly. I'm currently working on a Hornby Select, so I couldn't have messed with the CVs could I?

Any advice would be brilliant, as it was the last one in the shop I don't want to swap it.

Cheers in advance icon_thumbsup2.gif

try taking the body off and test again. then you can see if there is any friction etc

I am not sure if Bachmann fitted loco's can be operated on normal DC, if so

perhaps try a test. You may not get the sound but it should move?

cheers

Keit

i suspect something has become stuck in the mechs. The flywheels are either end of the can motor which is in the centre. From the centre of the flywheels two drive shafts connect to the bogies. It may well be one of these has dropped out. Should take no more than 5 mins to sort.

will go and have a look at one of my 37, but from memory the pcb (the thing the chip is attached to + wiring etc) is held on by 2 screws. Undo these and you may be able to peak at the motor and brass flywkeels and see if something is lodged, or dislodged. Another and perhaps better alternative as i suspect its a drive shaft popped out is to undo the screws holding the bogies in place and let them drop away. You would need to do this to re-insert the drive shaft should this be the problem anyway.

Archived