Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

N gauge Y6 tram kit chassis

Hi

I built what i think is a GEM or Fleetline N gauge white metal Y6 tram kit a few years ago and have been running it in an ancient Lima diesel loco power bogie. I have never been happy with how this chassis has run and was wandering if anyone has any experience with motorising this kit and can recommend a suitable replacement chassis.

Regards

David 

Not sure there is one. You could possibly use a fleischmann class 80.0, which seems to have a wheelbase you could cut down, or you could use a more modern power bogie. In 4mm, when I have the finances, I'm going to use a BullAnt from hollywood foundry.

Just incidentally, your post identified the Tram as a Y6, which the design of the sideskirts shows it to be, but it has the six wheels of a J70.

Not sure there is one. You could possibly use a fleischmann class 80.0, which seems to have a wheelbase you could cut down, or you could use a more modern power bogie. In 4mm, when I have the finances, I'm going to use a BullAnt from hollywood foundry.

Just incidentally, your post identified the Tram as a Y6, which the design of the sideskirts shows it to be, but it has the six wheels of a J70.

Hi

thank-you for your response, i will look up the chassis you have suggested, the 6 wheel chassis is due to it being the only thing at the time that i could find to power the tram that would fit, and unfortunately if i take the centre axle out all the drive gears will fall out too, limas bogies were just as poorly designed in N as in 00 unfortunately.

Regards

David

Sorry but the side skirts footsteps and panel details, are right for a J70 not a Y6, and they are about the only easy way to tell the difference between the two, 

y6_ger.jpg

A Y6 look like this,  It has only 2 steps in one hole at each end,  no obvious access panels/cylinder covers through the skirts,  which go strait up from the bottom edge

steamtram.jpg.w300h250.jpg

A J70 looks like this.  Note three separate steps at each end and the extra access panels.  The J70 skirts are "tucked in" along the bottom edge while the Y6s aren't.  

I'd have said that six wheels is definitely the right number for dcross22's loco.

Will

Will,

Good gracious,yes. I'd never noticed that, but then again this:

j70.jpg

has generally been my reference for J70's, which has a much more pronounced cylinder cover, and the other images I had found show much the same arrangement of access hatches. You learn something every day. (It also means that the 80.0 is actually a better fit than I thought it was)

Ed

I think the whitemetal kit is one of those (like the PD Marsh sentiel etc) that has been stretched to fit whatever archaic chassis it was designed for, so it might well be possible to fit various small 0-6-0 chassis in it - prime candidate being the Farish 03/04 diesel shunter, as I think the wheelbase is still quite short for the J70 0-6-0? Alternatively the Farish 08 might also work - both can be had for around £50 for a complete model, if you shop around. Any continental models would be a very expensive way of going about it. If you don't have one at hand, I'm sure if you posted the internal dimensions someone would be able to check the chassis to see if it would fit.

There is\was a small Japanese 0-4-0 chassis\power bogie that appeared regularly on eBay, although there don't seem to be any available at the moment. I think Alan of Etched Pixels has used this for a few projects, and he might be able to comment. 

Justin

edit:

These are the Japanese chassis I mentioned:

Long Wheelbase -Power Unit TU-TMC100

Short Wheelbase -Power Unit TU-7T

Edited by justin1985

Hi

Thankyou for your responses, the dimensions of the interior of the body are 35mm in length, 15mm in width, and 25mm in height, those small japanese chassis look like they could be a good idea to look into, i have also been looking at the possibility of whether some of katos four wheel chassis they sell will fit with some modification by the way of cutting down the plastic frames they have. In regards to the model of the tram, i have been unsure which it is supposed to represent as it seems to show traces of both versions in the design of the side skirts, and i have misplaced the original kit box that would tell me unfortunately.

i am going to have a more in depth look at all the options and the cost and ease of fitting of each. if anyone knows of anything else that may be suitable i would be more than happy to know.

Regards

David 

that is the one, it was brought more because i liked the idea of having something unusual than anything else, and i guess the overscale problem was due to it being designed for the lima chassis, and even then this is too big, as you can see in the picture it sits a long way above the rails.

David

• 2 weeks later...

My BHE 'Toby' has a Farish DMU bogie inside it. Works fine and if its pushed off centre a spot you can fit the floor etc of the front cabs.

Hi

Thankyou for responding, i have considered these but they seem relatively hard to come by recently second hand at a reasonable price, unfortunately i haven't had much time in the last week or so to investigate further due to being very busy at work.

Regards

David

• 3 years later...