Seahouses

puddlejumper

The 2 outer scenic boards are cut at a slight angle for a number of reasons;

1) the track layout at Seahouses was all straight parallel, it looks like a train set!

2) To draw the viewer into the centre of the layout and hopefully negate some of the above.

3) Having cut 1 board at an angle we had to cut the other 1 to suit to pair them up for transit!

Mike

Yep it's a bit of a come in and look design. As Mike says, the track plan is very straight and trainset ish so hopefully the shape of the boards will help to make it more attractive and break up the straight lines. Will be having another couple of hours at the boards later today so will hopefully be able to show them erected.........

If it is not too late do try to build the baseboard frames with a curved or irregular front edge so that the track is not parallel to the baseboard edge - especially the front edge but the back as well. As the track plan is straight keeping the edges of the scenic boards as irregular as skills allow will make the finished layout look considerably better. Avoid straight baseboard edges at all costs.

Hope this is useful.

Railwayrod

• 1 month later...

Sir,

A few years back a 'Seahouses' layout in 0 gauge was displayed at the Pickering model railway exhibition and the viewing was from the sea looking toward the beach, harbour, and fishing boats pulled up onto the sands. A selection of ER locos were running and a local passenger train came to the station from hidden sorting sidings. the station being the rearmost part of the scenery. Hope this description is of any help to you. I don't know if the owner stil has the layout but I do have his contact details and also some photos of the display akenat the exhibition,.

Jim Brodie.

Sir,

A few years back a 'Seahouses' layout in 0 gauge was displayed at the Pickering model railway exhibition and the viewing was from the sea looking toward the beach, harbour, and fishing boats pulled up onto the sands. A selection of ER locos were running and a local passenger train came to the station from hidden sorting sidings. the station being the rearmost part of the scenery. Hope this description is of any help to you. I don't know if the owner stil has the layout but I do have his contact details and also some photos of the display akenat the exhibition,.

Jim Brodie.

Hi Jim

Yes I remember the layout but it wasn't prototypically correct, my aim is to build it as per prototype......I do believe the layout you are referring to was recently up for sale on ebay for a rather significant sum of money!!!

Doug

• 2 months later...

Well so much for doing 10 hours a week etc etc, where has the time gone?? The boards are made and I'm using the screwfix legs I mentioned earlier but that is as far as I have got. However the wife's summerhouse is now early finished, the garden is almost done, the Land Rover resto is at the rolling chassis stage and the dark nights are coming so should be able to get on with it. Of course that means I will probably have to dispose of one of my current layouts........

So wish me luck guys, second start is on the horizon

Btw can someone do me an idiots guide on how to put pictures on here??

Well so much for doing 10 hours a week etc etc, where has the time gone?? The boards are made and I'm using the screwfix legs I mentioned earlier but that is as far as I have got. However the wife's summerhouse is now early finished, the garden is almost done, the Land Rover resto is at the rolling chassis stage and the dark nights are coming so should be able to get on with it. Of course that means I will probably have to dispose of one of my current layouts........

So wish me luck guys, second start is on the horizon

Btw can someone do me an idiots guide on how to put pictures on here??

• RMweb Gold

My method uses Windows Viewer I double click on the image to display it in Windows Viewer.

I click the email option then close the image.

Windows mail will have initiate a meesge email message with the image as an attachment

I double click on the attachment to display the image.

I then select save a copy and give it a suitable name.

Ths will have saved a compressed copy of a few hundred K from an image of 6MB or so.

I go to RMweb and on the appropriate thread go to reply to topic then click reply with attachments. Below the reply box a Attach files section appears

Select browse and then find the file on your PC.

One the required file is selected click open . Then attach this file

The file will be uploaded as it is within the 1K max.

After typing introductory words in the reply box I move the cursor to where i want the image to appear and then click add to post  against the file

You can then add more words other images etc.

Don

This was done as above

post-8525-0-85764500-1413133278_thumb.jpg

My method uses Windows Viewer I double click on the image to display it in Windows Viewer.

I click the email option then close the image.

Windows mail will have initiate a meesge email message with the image as an attachment

I double click on the attachment to display the image.

I then select save a copy and give it a suitable name.

Ths will have saved a compressed copy of a few hundred K from an image of 6MB or so.

I go to RMweb and on the appropriate thread go to reply to topic then click reply with attachments. Below the reply box a Attach files section appears

Select browse and then find the file on your PC.

One the required file is selected click open . Then attach this file

The file will be uploaded as it is within the 1K max.

After typing introductory words in the reply box I move the cursor to where i want the image to appear and then click add to post  against the file

You can then add more words other images etc. Before pressing Add Reply to post the  lot

Don

This was done as above

post-8525-0-85764500-1413133278_thumb.jpg

Well I spent a pleasant hour or so last night with a Southwark Models NER sack barrow and the RSU and produced these:

A coat of paint & a bit of weathering and they should be fine

EDIT, obviously I haven't followed the picture upload destructions appropriately, will log on to computer later today

And hopefully here she is!!!!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/dougwardle/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/364910EB-984D-4693-992B-EB8183977E14_zps5smojdrl.jpg?1413368764487&1413368766396

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/dougwardle/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/125A668D-B657-493E-BFA3-8E5DE6D9CEA9_zpsqy2p1hup.jpg

if this works there will be lots more pictures coming

EDIT

Ha ha...........it works, sort of, will get some more pics up of stock I have built etc

OK there were a couple of things inspired me to have a go at Seahouses, firstly the book from the Oakwood press which I read while on holiday in the area (and it has to be said it is one of my favourite places in the world) and this picture that was on the TIC which is in the car park that was the station:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/dougwardle/Seahouses_zps00a676aa.jpg?1413368764488&1413368766396

Also the "held together with bits of wire and 6" nails" (ie my kind of engineering) approach to the railway  I had built my first 0 gauge loco a Y7 before i read the book so that was decision made for me. I'm going in the loft now to take loads of pics of some of my stock which will hopefully make you all forget that  still havent really finished the boards or started to lay any track yet...

A couple of my locos, all of these types ran on the railway, the first one is my first ever loco kit, a Y7 from Jim McGeown

post-1306-0-31986000-1413372800.jpg

Secondly another Y7

post-1306-0-52791200-1413373056.jpg

And finally a J79, again one of Jims

post-1306-0-82701500-1413372885.jpg

And I've found out how to put pics into the thread rather than links to my photobucket thingy.........what a day I'm having :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Archived