?Buffer stop? for link-and-pin centre buffer?

Richard T

Hi

I am looking for photos or drawings of buffer stops on (narrow gauge) lines where the rolling stock was fitted with link-and-pin centre buffers. I'm thinking that a central buffer stop would have been most likely but on the other hand would—if stock bumped into it—have damaged any links left in the wagon's buffer pocket. Were damaged links an accepted risk? Or were rail stops of some kind more common?

Any information will be much appreciated.

Greenwich couplings incorporate a buffing face so you just need to make the loop flip up. This can be done by chamfering back the upper part of the buffer post in a way that matches the 'lean back' of the fixed part of the Greenwich coupling, but which goes sufficiently high to prevent the loop trying to couple itself to the post. You could probably do it by making the whole buffing post lean back - having notionally been gradually pushed back by countless buffing contacts with rolling stock.

• 4 weeks later...

Buffer stop wise. I know on the GVLR we have a few methods of which all bar one are original to NG railways. First we have a section of girder about 3 foot high reinforced/braced and either welded or bolted to the last sleeper. Second there are bolt on stop blocks, one on each rail which intend to stop the loco by being at a low enough height to hit the "buffer beam". Worse case scenario is that the loco will ride up them, derail and stop. You would have to be going at a fair speed or have a weighty train behind you though) Third is a very good one that we use. 2 x 2'4" manriders stacked on top of each other and placed across the track! Works very well!

Archived