The scenic area will be slightly smaller length wise and significantly smaller width than an APA Box. The layout is designed to fit in a small wheeled case, for transport for example to club meeting and exhibitions. There is no model railway club on the island, so I have forced to join one on the mainland.

Julie

PS The next posting will include pictures of the baseboard, which are nearing completion. The layout will consist of an oval, which will link to the scenic section.

EDIT Extra information added

• 4 weeks later...

Yes the bridge is a heavily modified PECO kit.

The road surface is narrower and the height and width dimensions have been reduced, to give the impression that the bridge is further away than it is. Thus making the scenic section appear larger than it is. The width of the scenic area will be about half of the baseboard width, for the same reason.

Julie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I've now laid the track on Pack Lane, see photograph below. This is my first attempt at an N Gauge layout. It is very small, so that I can transport it around using public transport.

post-20065-0-74430100-1404399820.jpg

As yet the layout is un wired. It will be wired for DCC.

I will be tacking more photographs to show the track layout etc. in more detail later.

The track is laid on PECO foam ballast, which has been painted grey. This was done to protect it from UV radiation. This prevents the UV braking down the plasticising molecule, which causes the foam to become brittle. The foam helps reduce the track noise, which is a particular problem with thin cross section, plywood baseboards.

Julie

It's coming along nicely, could I suggest before you get too far along, possibly adding a siding or even a loop, on the hidden straight so you can store stock, rather than lifting everything on and off handraulically?

It would allow you to vary the trains appearing on scene without the tedium of having to change over trains off scene, which both risks damaging stock and becoming a chore before long, especially if you intend exhibiting the layout.

I have now had time to take photograghs of the track joint, between the main board and the extension flaps.

post-20065-0-03171900-1404480944_thumb.jpg

post-20065-0-76408900-1404480951_thumb.jpg

post-20065-0-11102800-1404480963.jpg

I have also taken a photograph of the modified point at the entrance to the china clay loading siding. The gap between the stock and closeure rails has been reduced. It is still overscale, but it needs to allow N Gauge wheelset to pass unhindered. But it does look better than the out of the box, PECO settrack point.

post-20065-0-79854000-1404480968_thumb.jpg

Julie

I have now had time to take photograghs of the track joint, between the main board and the extension flaps.

attachicon.gifJoin_1.JPG

attachicon.gifJoin_2.JPG

attachicon.gifJoin_3.JPG

I have also taken a photograph of the modified point at the entrance to the china clay loading siding. The gap between the stock and closeure rails has been reduced. It is still overscale, but it needs to allow N Gauge wheelset to pass unhindered. But it does look better than the out of the box, PECO settrack point.

attachicon.gifTrack_2.JPG

Julie

Gosh, a joint through a point that's brave, I hope it works OK Julie.

John.

I intend to use an over-center catch, mounted on a block if required to enable to catch to work.

The important part of the problem is to make sure that the hinged section lays flat without straining the hinges. If this occurs over time the track alignment will be lost and trains will derail as a result.

Julie

Summary of Blog Comments

Great! DCC is the way to go. As I've learned in my couple of years of messing around, think ahead, make provision for what you might want to add...

All the frogs on Gerlos have a dropper for frog polarity switching... There are holes for signals, train detection, etc..!

AllScales

Looks like an interesting start. What size is the board?

paul-dereham   

The board is 760 mm by 220mm, fully extended. Which means that the curves are slightly sharp, but all the intended locomotives and rolling stock negotiate the curves without mishap.

The baseboard is only 18mm thick, but it is designed so that it won't warp. I have stood on the main board, before the track was liad and it easily took my full weight, without bending.

Julie

EDIT underline title

• 2 weeks later...

The layout is now wired, the main wiring spines are made using copper tape, bought from Faversham Models. I use non lead solder, and when soldering onto a copper surface that is glued in position, I need to be very careful, because the temperature needed to solder with, is higher then leaded solder, this sometimes causes the adhesive to break down. I have found that if the heat is removed and the tape pressed back into position and allows to cool, it holds properly.

post-20065-0-16650100-1405710006_thumb.jpg

The flexible wire, may appear oversized, but having more strands it has will help it withstand more flexing, when folding the flaps for transport, without failure. The cable restrains fulfil two functions, these are holding the cable in position to minimise the strain placed on the soldered joint and to keep it in place to make sure that the cable does not foul the flap during closure, for transport.

The external plug on the back of the layout is designed to allow a standard Bachmann EZ Command, DCC controller to be plugged in.

post-20065-0-67130800-1405710014_thumb.jpg

Julie

• RMweb Premium

No it's a standard off the shelf case.

Julie

Please can we have a photo of the layout with its transit case? I'm imagining an airline cabin bag size case with wheels and a telescopic handle but a photo would help.

- Richard.

Small point - if you had used the hinges to carry the lectriky bits across the joints you would have saved messing with the flexy wires - just trap the feed wire underneath the hinge where I have bolt together boards, I do the same thing and feed across the joint through the bolt

Archived