Bulimba in a Box - a Queensland Shunting layout in an APA box

UPDATE!!!!!

Bit of good news on the fiddle yard latches.  Went out to investigate these today and am pleased to report that no further searching is required!

post-11907-0-13129200-1418125806_thumb.jpg

Just one set shown but I bought two sets.

As can be seen in the below image, the latch is small enough to fit onto the edge of the APA box lid.

post-11907-0-30258400-1418125810_thumb.jpg

The actual bent wire that hooks onto the catch is slightly wider than the lid's edge where it's connected to the latch (see below) but has a bit of side-play, so by mounting the latch slightly off-center, when the lid is in use as the fiddle yard, the loop should slide up and not lift the lid on that end.

post-11907-0-89435200-1418125813_thumb.jpg

For the catch, it fits neatly onto the edge of the box end piece.  This is the 02-531 type.

post-11907-0-58892700-1418125817_thumb.jpg

Good news for you lot over in the UK (and anywhere else outside Aus for that matter) is that they have no minimum order quantity for overseas orders.  I know the APA is now a discontinued item but it's maybe something for those who haven't used theirs yet to keep in mind if they plan on having a similar setup to mine but can't find small enough latches locally.

In terms of actual construction work, nothing's happened yet but I've now got all I need to begin, so there'll be a progress update hopefully before the new year!

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi Matt,

Great to see your progress mate and many thanks for linking to those latches!

They look much neater and smaller than the ones I have been steadily building up so if I need more, I may try and get some.

Lovely to see your 3'6" stock there, I hope I haven't missed what track will you use please?

Cheers,

John.

Cheers John!

Track.  I did mention I'd bought it in a previous post but forgot to mention who makes it!  It's just good old Peco.  Most people I know/know of out here who model in 12mm use Peco but it's not uncommon to hear of people using Shinohara or occasionally Tillig.

As you also mentioned the latches, I might as well add to my previous post that it only cost just under AU$20 for all four bits of hardware (2 latches and 2 hooks/catches).

Matt.

Archived