Primer

Paul-2mm

I have a few etched kits which are rapidly approaching completion and have started thinking about how I'm going to paint them.

In the past I've used Halfords car primer and was quite happy with the results, is this still the way to go or are there better alternatives out there?

Hi Paul.

I am pretty sure halfords grey primer is the primer of choice still for 2mm modellers these days. I also use an 'air eraser' or mini shot blaster too which helps prep the metal really well prior to painting.

Missy :)

Up until now I've used Halfords primers and been very happy with them, but I've heard very good things about the U-pol Acid #8 etch primer sold by Halfords, and have recently bought a can to try. All I need to do is finish a few more etched models so that I can try it!

Andy

Up until now I've used Halfords primers and been very happy with them, but I've heard very good things about the U-pol Acid #8 etch primer sold by Halfords, and have recently bought a can to try. All I need to do is finish a few more etched models so that I can try it!

Andy

Brave man to try a new finish on a completed model!  I'd get some scrap out :)

Brave man to try a new finish on a completed model!  I'd get some scrap out :)

When someone as experienced as this chap recommends it then I'm more than happy to take a small risk with a completed model;

If it were a completely unknown product then that might be different...

Andy

(edit to correct typo)

Years ago I had a very useful tip from Alan Smith if you have an airbrush.

Spray a quantity of Halfords primer (I used red oxide) into a film canister and then thin it down with some cellulose thinners. Load the air brush and spray away achieving a really fine finish. As always, two thin coats are better than one thick. When I stripped my early farish class 4 tank loco I was amazed at some of the fine crisp detail than came to life having been buried under their thick coating.

Don't forget the chore of thoroughly cleaning out the air brush (probably why some use Halfords direct from the aerosol)

Spray a quantity of Halfords primer (I used red oxide) into a film canister and then thin it down with some cellulose thinners. Load the air brush and spray away achieving a really fine finish. As always, two thin coats are better than one thick. When I stripped my early farish class 4 tank loco I was amazed at some of the fine crisp detail than came to life having been buried under their thick coating.

Don't forget the chore of thoroughly cleaning out the air brush (probably why some use Halfords direct from the aerosol)

I like the Precision Paints two part etch primer applied with an airbrush, as recommended by Ian Rathbone in the Right Tracks DVD. It gives a very smooth finish. Trouble is, it is rather expensive and once open doesn't seem to last long. The above sounds interesting - I think I'll give it a try.

Bill

These were my words in February 2012.....

"Thanks Emma. I can't afford any comebacks when working commercially, which is why I took a week off to put the Halford Acid No.8 etch primer through it's paces. Seeing as I was stripping a dozen or more of my own coaches and repainting them in BR maroon, it was a good opportunity to use the etch primer throughout. I am mighty grateful to Sandy Harper of the 7mm Bulldog "Seagull" thread for the heads up". 

I have had no reason to change my mind. 

• RMweb Premium

Please forgive me if I have this wrong, but aren't all Halfords spray paints acrylic based now, the base primers as well as the top finishes?

Izzy

Please forgive me if I have this wrong, but aren't all Halfords spray paints acrylic based now, the base primers as well as the top finishes?

Izzy

Website says the primer is "Compatible with Halfords enamel and automotive colour matched paints".

Andrew

Website says the primer is "Compatible with Halfords enamel and automotive colour matched paints".

Andrew

I think someone was concerned by the thinning of acrylics with cellulose thinners. It works, in fact enamel can be thinned with cellulose thinners if being sprayed.

• RMweb Premium

I think someone was concerned by the thinning of acrylics with cellulose thinners. It works, in fact enamel can be thinned with cellulose thinners if being sprayed.

Yes, that was my concern, being unaware that acrylics could be thinned with cellulose thinners (never guessing that the two were compatible), so thanks, another bit of very useful info.

Izzy

Archived