Tortoise motor is lifting tie bar

After glueing down the trackwork and checking everything is running smoothly, I noticed a few points ( copper clad from Marcway) are a bit "sticky" when operated by the tortoise motor. Even though

the tie bars moves very freely with no resistance, and spring back into position when I move them back and forth with my finger.

On closer inspection I noticed that when the motor is operating the tie bar is being pushed up slightly against the underside of the stock rails as it moves along, causing a slightly stuttering operation.

They move the full travel to switch the points correctly, but something is not right.

I would be grateful if anyone has any experience of this or knows a possible cause.

Not uncommon. A tiebar will move to a position of least resistance, and if it can move vertically in doing so, it might, depending on whether the tiebar is constrained to move along a specific axis.

How exactly is the motor attached to the tiebar?

Most likely cause - as with all issues with these switch motors is that the motor has not been positioned correctly. This is so easy to get wrong with the Tortoise as it is so versatile and generally forgiving. It is still important to ensure that when the actuator arm is mid position and the tiebar also at mid throw that the wire passes vertically through the hole in the tiebar. The mounting position should be square and flat to the tiebar. There is no reason why the actuating wire should lift the tie bar. Of course if during gluing the point and ballasting some stray ballast has become lodged under the tie bar you would get the same result., but you would see that with gentle manual operation.

Archived