Hello Everyone,

I've been a member for a few years now and only posted my first post a couple of months ago. My layout is an urban scene (perhaps why its taking so long to complete). Its set in a fictitious location called Northfield in south Yorkshire. I've completed most of the buildings which are mainly scratch built and I recently read an article in BRM about scratch building trees using florist's wire then covered with Milliput and finished off with Noch Laub leaves. They are partially complete as I've got a bit more work to do to make them a bit more like their intended species and I've run out of Noch Laub.

Here is a few of my first go at making trees in such a fashion.

post-11781-0-61361800-1400688388_thumb.jpg

This one is supposed to represent an Oak, but i feel it needs more work to make it look more Oak like.

post-11781-0-53273500-1400688483_thumb.jpg

Again this was supposed to be an Oak but I think it looks more like a Cedar!

post-11781-0-34068300-1400688524_thumb.jpg

This is a Beech. I'm happy with the trunk but the foliage needs some more work.

post-11781-0-10949900-1400688591_thumb.jpg

Now this one is a weeping Willow and my best so far (I think!). I'm much happier that this actually bears a striking resemblance to the species I was trying to model.

Peter

Nicely done Peter.

I like the Cedar!  Why not leave it as such?  I think your willow is much better than the commercial ones I have seen.

I must admit that my trees are just trees - I have made no attempt to replicate any particular species as I know I would fail.

Keep up the good work.

Harold.

Yup that is one nice willow.

Maybe the foliage on the oak and beech needs to be teased out some more to make it more airy, the willow looks right because willows are dense like that.

I use woodland scenics fibres and find that the more I tease it out before applying leaves the better it looks.

I think you've hit the nail on the head!(Campaman) The foliage is thick to hide the parts of the trunk which do not look great. This is evident from the undersides of the 'Cedar' tree and taking a bit of time and teasing the stuffing (stuffing from cuddly toys sprayed black) and then recovering them in Laub should improve them. I'll also try and do a bit of remedial work on the trunks as well. It will also mean that batch number two should be much better as a result of this experience.

Peter

I tease the poly fibres out to a nice light and airy structure, and then snip a few strands with scissors to shape and then tease out some more before applying the leaves.

I also use the poly fibre stuffing from cuddly toys, our 8 month old Yorkie/Poodle cross is currently de-stuffing aided by our two Staffies a bear or two a day, I have collected a large bag full for future use.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Springer Spaniel for pulling stuffing out of toys! I made the mistake of spraying it black. I think I should have chosen a brown or dark green as I ended up overdoing the leaves to disguise the black stuffing. Well I guess that's what a learning process is for!

Archived