Gresley v4 liveries

kingfisher24

I am currently working on my first all kit built loco wih valve gear etc. the loco is an old east coast joint moedels kit of an ex lner v4 and, the basic loco is nearly there just needing handrails and smaller details added to the loco and tender. I am now considering what livery to have the loco in when completed. Those who have seen my work will probably know that most of my loco's are in mid 1950's - early 60's condition. This said i am considering a little change - for a change i am thinking of having the loco in very early british railways condition ie, in lner green but with BR number. Now i know that i have seen a k4 in this condition. I cannot remember which k4 it was but the loco was in lner green with lner on the tender in the later style, but with the new BR number. Can any rmwebber confirm if either of the V4's ran in this condition. Again i usually model BR black era or should say varying shades of BR grey. I just think that an attractive loco in lner green but with the later number woild add a nice splash of colour to my "fleet". But this is only if either of the loco's ran like this.

Quick quote from LNER 2-8-2 and 2-6-2 classes Clay/Cliffe printed 1973.  As built they were painted pre war apple green with shaded lettering. Circa 1943 repainted to unlined black with NE lettering.  1700 retained this to BR days but 1701 received shaded LNER lettering while black in 1946. It is believed both reverted to apple green with unshaded lettering circa 1947/8 Eventually BR lined black about 1950. Guess more extensive information in RCTS Green bibles or later equivilants. 

Archived