Alec's Adventures in Railwayland

While sorting through my books yesterday (looking for one I can't find!) I came across this - which I had forgotten all about.  It is a satirical and swiping comment written in 1964 by the late Tom Rolt, about BR's Modernisation Plan and Dr Beeching using the 'Alice in Wonderland' theme with such characters as the 'Mad Porter'.  Only quite short (46 pages) and small format (think of an Ian Allan ABC) and printed by Ian Allan, I've never seen it elsewhere - and I've no idea where I got it from!  Has anyone else read it?

post-807-0-66519600-1401620702.jpg

Just done a 'Google' and found it for sale at £2.20 on e-bay and £30.70 on Amazon!

The unusual ink illustrations are by Margaret Calvert and the little book was quite sought after by fans and collectors of Tom Rolt's literary output.  Hence the wide range of prices out there. I believe the Alec of the title, would have been the current Prime Minister, Alec Douglas-Home, who lost the election held in October 1964?

It's difficult to imagine Tom Rolt writing "Alec's Adventure's" whilst at the same time compiling the information for "Hunslet Hundred"; the history of the Hunslet Engine Company, Leeds - published by David & Charles in 1964 and also "Patrick Stirling's Locomotives", a Hamish Hamilton Monograph, also published in 1964. 

The unusual ink illustrations are by Margaret Calvert and the little book was quite sought after by fans and collectors of Tom Rolt's literary output.  Hence the wide range of prices out there. I believe the Alec of the title, would have been the current Prime Minister, Alec Douglas-Home, who lost the election held in October 1964?

It's difficult to imagine Tom Rolt writing "Alec's Adventure's" whilst at the same time compiling the information for "Hunslet Hundred"; the history of the Hunslet Engine Company, Leeds - published by David & Charles in 1964 and also "Patrick Stirling's Locomotives", a Hamish Hamilton Monograph, also published in 1964. 

Interesting point about Alec Douglas-Home, I hadn't considered that.  I did wonder where he 'picked' the name from.

I know what you mean about Tom Rolt writing it, doesn't really tie-in or relate to his other great works does it!

Archived