Request for clarification on decoder performance.

petertg

Hi all again!

Some time past, possibly back in 2012 or earlier, I purchased a Hornby 2-6-4 Tank engine DCC fitted. My old dcc start kit only allowed for programming loco addresses and, otherwise, no reading or writing of CVs. I gave this loco a new address and it worked reasonably well. Just recently I acquired a new controller with full capacity to read and write CVs. After giving the loco an outing today on the layout with a not too satisfactory performance, I decided to have a look at the few CVs the installed decoder supports. Much to my surprise, all the CVs gave a value of 0, even the manufacturer's ID. I programmed a new address and got the OK signal but, when I tried to read back the address, I got  0 again What conclusions can I draw from this?

I assume the decoder must be dud, but other dud decoders I have had gave no reading whatsoever. I would add that I tried the decoder in another loco with exactly the same results. In another topic relating to reading decoders it was suggested that I purchase a decoder tester but, having just forked out around GBP235 for the new controller, I must restrict expenditure on the layout for a while.

Any possible explanations will be welcome.

I can't say whether it is an early decoder, since it came with the loco. Of course, the loco could have been old stock. Anyway, thanks for the comment. I'l most likely replace it when I can.

Taking into account when the loco was purchased odds are it is fitted with early Hornby decoder, which has been said, were not completely compliant with some DCC systems. Even good systems.

Cheers

Ian

I have a Hornby 0-6-0 tank with one of these early Hornby chips, and you cannot read the CVs.  This does not prevent you from changing the basic ones though, so you can control top speed, acceleration, deceleration etc.  I havent tried much more than that on this model.

Thanks for the comments clarifying the situation. However, I think that at some time in the not too distant future (finances allowing) I shall purchase a decent decoder for this locomotive.

Archived