Southern Ontario pictures

A contribution from me, following an enquiry on RMweb and a very kind offer to host me for the day chasing OSR trains. After a look round the Salford shops, we caught OSR 1401/6508 (two ex-VIA, ex-CN FP9As) as they picked up 14 assorted cars from various spurs and then switched the CAMI Toyota factory to pick up 40 auto racks. The 54 car train, over a quarter mile long is passing Ingersoll, Ontario, and the Fs are apparently in daily use at present. Thanks to OSR expert Walter, for taking us to some great photo locations.

CHRIS LEIGH

Glad you enjoyed it Chris! Walter the OSR Guru took it to a whole new level for me with the shop tour and best railfanning locations.   :locomotive:  

Some video of the F Units in action that day:  https://youtu.be/XRnV5ulXy8M

6508 will look great in the OSR livery I think.  

Pete

Glad you enjoyed it Chris! Walter the OSR Guru took it to a whole new level for me with the shop tour and best railfanning locations.   :locomotive:  

Some video of the F Units in action that day:  https://youtu.be/XRnV5ulXy8M

Pete

I look forward to seeing one in the OSR livery. I have a Rapido FP9A ready to repaint into the Railink scheme. It was assembled for me from a shelf-full of bits when I visited Rapido but it stubbornly refuses to run on my DCC system. It's fine on the British analog DC layout!

CHRIS LEIGH

I look forward to seeing one in the OSR livery. I have a Rapido FP9A ready to repaint into the Railink scheme. It was assembled for me from a shelf-full of bits when I visited Rapido but it stubbornly refuses to run on my DCC system. It's fine on the British analog DC layout!

CHRIS LEIGH

Did they remember to put a DCC decoder into it?

Adrian

Did they remember to put a DCC decoder into it?

Adrian

I guess so, there's a feint engine tick-over sound when its on the DCC track but no movement or functions. Am trying to deal with it without sending it back to Markham.

CHRIS LEIGH

I guess so, there's a feint engine tick-over sound when its on the DCC track but no movement or functions. Am trying to deal with it without sending it back to Markham.

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris, not sure if you've seen this but here's the Rapido support page for the FP9s with links to manuals etc.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/support_fp9.html

If you scroll down there are some notes about a couple of minor issues that could cause lack of sound and movement in the B units. Maybe your 'bitsa" A unit got a B unit decoder in all the excitement so perhaps it's worth trying the fixes they mention?

Looks like the A units have Soundtraxx and the B units Loksound so that may be an easy way to tell. Soundtraxx Tsunamis have a programmable "interlock" where you can't physically move the engine until you start the motor (sound of the motor). It's a setting of CV 116 I think. 

Pete

Chris, not sure if you've seen this but here's the Rapido support page for the FP9s with links to manuals etc.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/support_fp9.html

If you scroll down there are some notes about a couple of minor issues that could cause lack of sound and movement in the B units. Maybe your 'bitsa" A unit got a B unit decoder in all the excitement so perhaps it's worth trying the fixes they mention?

Looks like the A units have Soundtraxx and the B units Loksound so that may be an easy way to tell. Soundtraxx Tsunamis have a programmable "interlock" where you can't physically move the engine until you start the motor (sound of the motor). It's a setting of CV 116 I think. 

Pete

Oh, boy, I feel really stupid. After a half hour of wrestling I've finally got the body off and your first suggestion is quite right. There is no decoder in it. There are both 8 pin and 21-pin sockets but no decoder or speakers. The noise I can hear is simply a DC motor chattering on AC current, no doubt. I shall now go back to DCC school and enlist in the basic class!

Chris:

guys of our age shouldn't be expected to deal with electronics that don't have tubes in them.

Like Skoda cars. They used to say the 16-valve Skoda had four in the tyres and the rest in the radio! Sorry to take this thread so far off course. Will find a nice OSR shot to add.

CHRIS LEIGH

This one for starters - one of about six RDCs that are stored at VIA's Toronto Maintenance Centre. 6135 and 6148 are in the best condition but still left open to the elements and to access by birds etc. They were both brought back from Vancouver Island after the E&N service folded in 2011. Some of the other cars are covered in graffiti but they represent most of the 7 different end styles carried by Canadian RDCs. I got a masterclass in the topic from my host, who really took me there just to get me 'hooked' on LRCs and particularly 6917. He was successful - I never saw them in service and never much liked them but I'm a fan now.

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-65778400-1435394255_thumb.jpg

Inside OSR's Salford shop this Geep was nearly finished (the far side had its vinyls on) in the current maroon and cream OSR scheme that uses colours from the old Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo in which the OSR has its roots. They do a great job and the locos look really smart but it will be a shame to see the old two-tone green go from 6508. It was the only OSR loco in that scheme, which it presumably received while it was in preservation before the OSR acquired it. They have two more F-units, both in the blue and white Railink colours but with the logos stripped off. CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-97799400-1435395004_thumb.jpg

post-1062-0-11894600-1435395025_thumb.jpg

Pete

It should, Bob Merriam who does their painting and who painted the solarium car Cape Race for us at the Toronto Railway Museum last year does good work. 

Inside OSR's Salford shop this Geep was nearly finished (the far side had its vinyls on) in the current maroon and cream OSR scheme that uses colours from the old Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo in which the OSR has its roots. They do a great job and the locos look really smart but it will be a shame to see the old two-tone green go from 6508. It was the only OSR loco in that scheme, which it presumably received while it was in preservation before the OSR acquired it. They have two more F-units, both in the blue and white Railink colours but with the logos stripped off. CHRIS LEIGH

The 1954 scheme has been on that loco for as long as i've know about it,  which was when it was one of the pair of units for the Waterloo-St Jacobs Tourist Train in 1997.  In your picture you can just see the shadow of where the name they applied to the unit was under the cab windows ("Spirit of St Jacobs").  

One of these days i need to get a day off work and go chasing OSR myself for some photos.

In the spirit of Southern Ontario photos though, a couple from the Foamerfest BBQ at Bayview Junction last weekend:

19085312112_f2b702061a_z.jpgVIA Rail Blur by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

19064745806_75bd1f7d68_z.jpgYard Power past the BBQ by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

18903300338_f7809d19e9_z.jpgEastbound Container Train by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

18903252810_aae38bc512_z.jpgFoamerfest 2015 by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

Cheers,

Stephen

It should, Bob Merriam who does their painting and who painted the solarium car Cape Race for us at the Toronto Railway Museum last year does good work. 

The 1954 scheme has been on that loco for as long as i've know about it,  which was when it was one of the pair of units for the Waterloo-St Jacobs Tourist Train in 1997.  In your picture you can just see the shadow of where the name they applied to the unit was under the cab windows ("Spirit of St Jacobs").  

One of these days i need to get a day off work and go chasing OSR myself for some photos.

In the spirit of Southern Ontario photos though, a couple from the Foamerfest BBQ at Bayview Junction last weekend:

19085312112_f2b702061a_z.jpgVIA Rail Blur by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

19064745806_75bd1f7d68_z.jpgYard Power past the BBQ by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

18903300338_f7809d19e9_z.jpgEastbound Container Train by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

18903252810_aae38bc512_z.jpgFoamerfest 2015 by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

Cheers,

Stephen

Nice set of pictures. Thought I recognised you when I visited the John Street museum about a month ago (it would have been Friday (i THink) 22 May. The newly-restored passenger car looks great. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A small contribution from me, spent some time in rapidly fading light at Oshawa tonight, the best pic was of 6436 calling the station at the head of VIA train 69 from Montreal to Aldershot consisting of 4 busy LRC coaches.

post-291-0-18884700-1436412667_thumb.jpg

Taking the GO train to Niagara Falls on Sunday morning so hoping to see a lot more, also planning to try and spend a few hours at the location in the original post before we leave for home at the end of next week!!

Cheers

Craig

also planning to try and spend a few hours at the location in the original post before we leave for home at the end of next week!!

Hopefully the weather and the railways will cooperate for you. As long as they are not doing work on the CP line, there is plenty of space to park between the bridge and the CP level crossing - where my car is parked in the last photo in post#1 here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/23279-a-few-canadian-pictures/

It is also a nice drive along the lake to Port Hope, where you can see trains passing above the town on the viaducts.

Adrian

There used to be a railroad running from Trenton, Ontario to Picton, Ontario, primarily serving some canning operations, an ore dock in Picton, and, I think, the cement works just outside Picton. It was originally the Prince Edward County Railway, and connected with the Central Ontario Railway. Ultimately it became part of CN and the last major use was moving ore from Marmora. Ontario to the ore dock. it was closed in 1984 and the rails were lifted in the late '80s. The route has now become the 'Millenium Trail'.

Here are a few photos of the site of the former Consecon station. The depot itself is long gone, but the grain (feed?) elevator (I'm not sure whether it was for inbound or outbound traffic) and the freight house still exist.

The freight house:

post-206-0-09111800-1436880025.jpg

It appears to have had a line down each side, as well as the main passing it:

post-206-0-23612600-1436880046.jpg

post-206-0-77945200-1436880034.jpg

The elevator. The truck loading arrangement (and the lack of any sign of train loading facilities) make me think it was used for incoming feed or fertilizer. I think the metal siding is a later addition.

post-206-0-79484500-1436880014.jpg

post-206-0-60976000-1436880054.jpg

post-206-0-25407200-1436880067.jpg

The site, with where I think the rail lines ran

post-206-0-39298800-1436880002_thumb.jpg

It is here: https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.0048871,-77.5217443,18z/data=!3m1!1e3

The Picton ore dock and cement plant:

post-206-0-38362000-1436880693.jpg

They are here: https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.0444257,-77.1258288,15z/data=!3m1!1e3

This is one of my favourite bits of Ontario, having gone to the beaches here as a child and now having friends who own a winery between Consecon and Wellington.

There is a nice book covering this line and a number of the other (former) lines between Toronto/Lindsay/Belleville, but it can go for silly money these days: http://www.amazon.ca/Last-Trains-Lindsay-Keith-Hansen/dp/0968121500

Adrian

Archived