Peak (Bakewell) Model Railway Exhibition 7th & 8th June 2014

bluebottle

A little late in the day to be mentioning it, but I was considering a trip to the Bakewell show on Saturday. Details are here: http://www.wingfieldrailwaygroup.co.uk/Page_6.html

Anybody like to comment on the standard of the show in recent years? As far as I can remember, I've seen only one of the layouts listed (Greenacre Yard - nice), any recommendations of  the others?

( Lagganmoor(N), Nunbrook and Loxley(N), Museum of Transport(00), Newburn(00), Fenby Quay(00), Woodside Lane(00), Newton East(00), New Stanton Lees(00), Churchgate (00), L'Etoile de Chevineaux(H0), Torchy(H0), Cardboard Works(0) )

post-7286-0-84696400-1401903967_thumb.jpg

I can't recall seeing most of the layouts before except for Greenacre at the Nottingham show but I can recommend the show on the basis of my Saturday morning visit last year. Found it to be very friendly, easy to find with plenty of parking at a reasonable price for a tourist town 

I have visited the show twice before and have enjoyed it on both occasions. I have seen Greenacre before and had Fenby Quay at the Weston show last year. Both are excellent layouts as is Newton East which I have seen a couple of times before and will be welcoming to Weston later in the year.

The Museum of Transport is very different with lots to see but seems to have a season ticket to Bakewell, it has been there for the last two years too. Woodside Lane is a nice micro layout and usually runs sound fitted locos.

Well despite the weather I braved the A38 and A6 to get to Bakewell for just after lunch. The wet ground met limited parking, but managed to find a space on the hard standing. The car park machine was broken so a 400 yard walk in monsoon like conditions was not a good start to the visit.

At £5.00 the entrance fee compares favourably with other similar sized shows and the venue seems quite spacious inside. The crowd seemed a little light this afternoon, probably due to the weather. If you are thinking of attending tomorrow I suggest you pop along. There is plenty to see with enough trade to tempt you from your cash. Sherwood Models and Brickyard Models carried a decent range of new 00 gauge stock whilst others carried second hand goods. There were plenty of stalls selling scenic items and others selling model buses and railway books.

A show stands and falls by the quality of its layouts. The ones on show today mainly covered the 00/H0 and N gauges with a good range of eras and a couple of foreign based models. Many of the layouts are worth a look. My personal favourites were Greenacre Yard, Newton East and Fenby Quay.

Newburn and the Museum of Transport are also enjoyable models but both were present at the show last year and the latter has appeared on each of the last 3 years at least. I do wonder why such repetition is needed especially when little seemed to have changed on either layout.

A good show though, and worth a visit tomorrow.

Thanks for info, Andy. I didn't make it on Saturday; a last-minute offer of a hospital appointment had first claim, but it looks like Sunday's going to be a much better day weatherwise. A modestly sized show with some decent layouts is just what I want to try out a new compact camera, so I'm looking forward to a grand day out.

Archived