Blog- RJRs Branch Lines - Playing with Plans

RSS Fetcher

As mentioned in a previous post, both 4' halves of the baseboard are now assembled. Now dry the twin skin plywood design is VERY rigid, stronger than I had hoped ! A pair of patternmakers dowels have been ordered to get the two halves to align and I have some toggle clips to connect them together.

Having played (tested) some track on the two halves, I am now getting a better feel for how much space can be used.

I am quite happy with the layout on the left hand scenic board, but still unsure about the right side. The original plan involved the back half of this board being a hidden traverser, but in practice a two line traverser is going to leave only a very limited amount of room for the scenic front track, so in effect one half of the layout will be under used ? The other option I have been playing with is to use a sector plate, this means at the extreme right the off scene rear section will only need to be quite small.

By using a sector plate I can get a set of points and a second scenic line on the right hand board

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/johntealon30/G%20scale%20indoors/gplan3.jpg

I think this increases operating potential and more importantly for me a much bigger scenic area to play with.

Thoughts and comments welcome

John

RJR

View the full article

Archived