To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Richard's Sn2 trains and other models

• RMweb Premium

A couple of years ago I made the 'Thread Shed', a fun model and my first attempt at 1:64 scale. It has been the most popular layout I have ever made, always eclipsing the "scale" HO model I had just finished before it.

Since then I have designed six layouts, bought the baseboard materials for three of them and abandoned all of them. I think my problem has been too much design. Thinking back to my Lego layout of 1969, there used to be fun in making models and then arranging them to make a "layout":

post-14389-0-13380600-1402401112.jpg

To be honest, I seem to have been quite an observant child, with a clear emphasis on paying for car parking and the road being dug up.

And so, I am now making models for a future Sn2 railway and some of them are written up in topics here and on the Narrow Gauge forum. Here is an index for them hoping people thinking of trying 'S' will get some ideas or encouragement from them. At least I have a choice or three baseboards for when the time starts!

Split between two obvious forums, I'll probably use the NG one for trains and track, and the RMWeb for everything else, which should be applicable to standard-gauge modelling too ...

Thread Shed - a continuous run in a box file

Dollshouse to Station Building - a conversion of a 1:48 scale building kit to 1:64

RX Engineering (in the topic for OperationBuild It buildings) - a Scalescenes model enlarged to 1:64

4 Loading bay - a second Scalescenes-based model - photos

Armstrong Whitworth 'Skye' class railcar - on the Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling Online forum

(You may have to set up an account for the NG forum to read posts there)

I've also set up an account on Photobucket for the various projects.  I'll try to add to this list towards the end of my next projects.

- Richard.

Archived