Peco point problem

Hi all, I have today installed a set of Peco points and felx track in to my main running line, however I have tested it and when the point is changed the power dies and does not return for a good minute. The hole layout loses all power when this happens. Can any of you explan why this is happing? There are a pair of wires under the point aswell would the wires have any effect on the problem?

Have you put an electrofrog point in a circuit of track without insulating joiners? if so it will short circuit when you change to the diverging route. I guess that your power unit then cuts out and resets after a minute.

You're definitely causing a short circuit when you set the point (even in momentary).

Is this an electrofrog or insulfrog point you've fitted?

Is there a power feed to the siding you've just created or are you relying on power routing from the point? If your mainline is a loop, and your point is electrofrog (with no insulating fishplates fitted) then this will short when set to go down the siding.

Hi all, I have today installed a set of Peco points and felx track in to my main running line, however I have tested it and when the point is changed the power dies and does not return for a good minute. The hole layout loses all power when this happens. Can any of you explan why this is happing? There are a pair of wires under the point aswell would the wires have any effect on the problem?

Wires under the point would AFAIK be an electrofrog point. You would definitely need insulated joiners on the 2 ends of the frog. The wires are for if you want to change the polarity of the frog with a switch.

Check your wiring.

The golden and simple rule with electrofrog points is that there must not be an electiical feed to either rail after the frog, this applies to the two frog rails only. Check and if there is a feed (i.e. not a dead end siding etc where there will not be one), then fit an insulated fishplate behind the frog on the rail with the feed. Shown below as gap

point-1.gif

With insulfrog points this does not apply.

Hope this helps

Brit15

Archived