Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Scratch building a model shop

Myself and my better half own a fishing lake. No 'great shakes' there you may think. And you'd be right. A one acre trout lake in, essentially, a three acre field. Dug by the family in 1980 it has traded steadily ever since catering to the beginner and families market. Now after running it ourselves for the last few years rather than leasing it out, as has been the normal practise, and taking a pragmatic view of the annual accounts and the state of the site building we've decided to redevelop the whole site. 

Yes. We're going to scratch build a model shop! Well a bit more than that actually. A model shop with an exhibition room, cafe and G scale garden layout in a landscaped picnic area. Oh and there will be a long-stay car park and a rather nice camp-site for tourers and tents, and our own take on the in-vogue camping pod - the camping brake van. We also plan to run double track 7 1/4 inch gauge line around the perimeter: in for a penny....

After chatting with Andy York at DEMU showcase the other week he suggested I take RM Webbers on the journey we're about to undertake. The first hurdle? Planning. Yippee! 

Here's the site as it is now:

post-14090-0-11425500-1402739036.jpg

Location? You'll like it a lot - any guesses?

Edited by Bezzy Oppo
  • Like 7

Muppetry. I forgot to mention - we'll be looking to fill in the lake, essentially return the site to open field for starters. Then build on the reclaimed land. The lake is not a still body of water but has controlled abstraction and discharge inlet/outlets. Trout need oodles of oxygen you see, otherwise they can easily go 'belly up'. They are the fishy equivalent of sheep: they are born to die as easily as possible. Any farmer will recognise that expression. Sheep have an unnerving knack of finding new ways to end their lives with no human help whatsoever!

Nothing really to add apart from wishing you the best of luck with the venture.

I'm guessing south of England and, given that railway enthusiasts will love the location, somewhere of rich railway heritage. Somewhere near Swindon?

Incidentally, Miniature Railway may be worth approaching if you feel like writing anything on the 71/4" build.

'Incidentally, Miniature Railway may be worth approaching if you feel like writing anything on the 71/4" build.'

Hi Pat, the 7 1/4" aspect will be the last bit to get done - When it happens I'm sure I'll be writing it up.

As to the location? I'll cough to that in a few days' time if no-one pings it in the meantime. Cheers

Edited by Bezzy Oppo

• RMweb Premium

If it's the one I think it is, it's right next door to a certain famous preserved railway line where my favourite Black Five is now appearing having previously been resident at Llangollen!!

Here's a google map which shows where I mean:

post-10897-0-36509400-1402658313.jpg

Getting warm...?!

David

Edited by Grafarman

I'm sure I've past this behind an A4 locomotive oop north. I do know where this is. When complete you are giving me more of an excuse to come up that way? Do you have any connections to the other model shop in this location though?

Yes, I know the owner (Dennis) very well. He's very supportive, though not very well at the moment. His wife has been poorly too. I have been helping out at his shop when I can. We hope to continue and grow the model shop offering in the area albeit in a much bigger way. Dennis will be acting as a consultant on the model retail side as his experience and knowledge of the industry spans several decades!  

• RMweb Premium

Can't remember the last time I was in Pickering, but I've been looking for an excuse to visit ever since 44806 'went North' - now it'll be doubly enticing!!

Will follow with interest...any timescale for the build as yet?

David

I hope to get through all the planning hoops by the end of the year (more on this later). Once I have the sign off I envisage starting work on the main buildings this time next year.

And I get to buy a 13 tonne digger with WAF support  :sungum: I'll be doing a lot of the work myself with help from friends.

Now. Back to Flood Risk Assessments, Habitat Appraisals, topographical surveys.......

post-14090-0-04200600-1402660297_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Mike,

Yes we hope so. In addition to the camp site, shop, exhibition/layout room and cafe there's also going to be additional long-stay car parking. This should ease the congestion associated with people rocking up to hop on the NYMR last minute and finding they can't get parked within a reasonable distance of the station and then driving aimlessly around. Until they get totally frustrated and give up for the day or for good as does happen at present. We currently allow parking but we will aim to provide a total of 130 or so spaces within the new development. Oh, and some really nice toilets and wash rooms for those desperate when they arrive.

Cheers, Alex

Edited by Bezzy Oppo
  • Like 1

Take away the lake, and you'll have just another model shop with a small outdoor flat mini train ride and now't else. (usually over here we have them as part of zoos).

From my California perspective, the lake is the main attraction. You can have rides on the lake that allow you to watch the trains run openly in nice , natural scenery, without all the fencing and other gubbins to keep the walkers off the tracks.

Andy

Hi Andy,

We have an English Heritage run medieval castle next door, the most popular heritage railway in the country next door, a large (by UK standards) National Park next door and a raft of annual events that see town inundated with visitors. Because of the topography of the town there is a limited amount of car parking space and a strong demand for camping close to the rail head. I am a modeller and enjoy the hobby - I can assure you it will not just be another model shop. If I put some boats on my piddly pond and tried to make a living having people rowing/ paddling around (takes 3 minutes) I don't think I would last very long: Lake Powell it ain't.

Seems a shame to get rid of that lovely lake...could you not just replace it with a smaller pond instead? Siunds to be a fairly large scale operation whatever you do. I wish you luck on your new enterprise :good:

GJ

I must admit I'm tending to agree with the positive comments on the lake and rather than just "filling it in" feel there should be some way to keep that side of things going, it's certainly a picnic attraction if nothing else...

You may also find that there are issues in removing a pond that has other established wildlife in it, especially if anything that's decided to make its home there is a protected species.

The lake is a managed watercourse. It has at any one time up to 1 tonne of Rainbow Trout in it. They are carnivorous. The Habitat Appraisal has drawn  .....a  blank. As I said to the surveying ecologist, 'if there's anything in there apart from the fish I'll give you the money myself'. Actually the removal of this intensive fishery will be of great ecological benefit. Vast amounts of fish poo ceasing to be discharged into the watercourse for starters. 

If someone is looking for somewhere to picnic I think any one of our National Parks will be a better bet? 

Well you have to be careful there. If the Thames wasn't managed i.e. the tidal barrier, London would get very wet every now and then!

But yes, all the water will go straight into the river rather than going through the lake (that which is abstracted). 

Aah, I see.

Watercourses can be managed to benefit and detriment: hence they are 'managed'. Abstraction can be a good thing in flood events. Our lake has a neutral effect. It is merely a route diversion. The elimination of the lake aspect will be of no consequence hydrologically. I would contend infilling the lake will provide groundwater storage capacity - a net gain (though small in overall terms) in delaying the onset of any flood event. That is a static body of water (the lake) can't absorb any more water! (Static because in the event of imminent flood the inlet and outlet are closed).

If we didn't clear out the lake every few years (excavate) it would silt up naturally anyway.

Edited by Bezzy Oppo

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with this venture. Look closely at your business model, ideal customer profile, their average spend & net profit year round.

Dava

Location is ideal for passing trade and the existing model shop (former Puffers) has a ready made customer base and given careful nurturing promotion advertising and publicity should be a sucessful venture

Go for it Alex!

I've already got a nice line in checked wallpaper eyed up. And I've just found some nice carpet too.

The business will stack up financially purely on parking and camping alone. And as anyone who's been to the Pickering War Weekend will testify, the availability of the site for additional traders and exhibits will improve the physical focus of that event enormously - which is the busiest week's trading of the year for the whole town.

Cheers Martin (look forward to seeing Kinmundy in Pickering some time soon!)

Edited by Bezzy Oppo
  • Like 1