Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Scratch building a model shop

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update for those who are curious: the planning decision has been deferred until middle of February pending a site visit by the planning committee in a couple of weeks time. All the statutory consultees are happy and have withdrawn their objections I am therefore hopeful of a planning officer's recommendation for approval.

The retail area will be 1250 square feet and include modelling benches, spray booth, soldering stations, decent AV and instructional area as well as modelling ephemera, railwayana, railway art and models and books. Also cafe with view on to the NYMR running lines. Oh and of course overnight accommodation in sympathetically converted rolling stock.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Very good news! I have been surprised at the amount and cost of the red tape you have struggled with, and admire your perseverence. Amongst the thousands of things you and yours have on your minds, please try keep us up to date?

Best wishes,

Doug and Shelagh

• RMweb Gold

Thats brilliant, I think you may be on to a winner with this. I was telling a friend about this the other day as he's renting a caravan this year for his holiday

It's amazing how many people from Norfolk holiday in North Yorkshire

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifSite layout.jpg

I hope to have this done within two years with the carpark and landscaping done this season. If anybody is coming to Pickering to see Flying Scotsman next month (don't worry she'll be here) I'll be parking the cars! 

Aha, so when my daughter and i arrive early on the 16th will you have enough car parking space available?i can see it being very very busy!!!!!

Could be good start for your new venture,Pickering certainly needs it,i used to go to Levisham instead,but not been for a couple of years or so.

Don.

• Like 1

Just found this thread. As an annual visitor to the NYMR I wish you the best of luck with your new venture. With the closure of the model shop in Pickering it is nice to know there will eventually be another outlet there. It sounds like a great project.

• 2 months later...

I remember taking my children fishing there when they were small - and having to do the cleaning of the catch myself as their mother refused point blank to do it...

Good luck with it all - what a project!

Mark

• 1 month later...

Update: slowly working through the planning conditions- £12k to fill in a hole on your own land anyone? Got to love our stealth taxes. Looks like we'll be leasing the shop out and concentrating on the reception and accommodation aspects of the site. Still, moving forward!

• Like 2