Gorilla Gue

Yes, and I've found it to be really useful. It cures in the presence of moisture, so when joining wood I wipe the surfaces with a damp cloth, put a bit of glue on and clamp the joint tight and leave it to go off. The glue foams as it cures, so it also fills any small gaps.

Andy

As Andy mentions, it does foam/expand, so you need to secure the two items you are gluing, or risk movement. But it does form a strong bond - I use it on disimilar materials, and have had good results.

Yes, I use it for woodworking. It has the consistency, and colour, of golden syrup. it foams as it sets, filling gaps and oozing out. Excess is readily sliced off when it's set, it's like expanded polystyrene. Don't try to remove it wet, it just smears. Sets a light brown colour and forms a very strong joint.

I do find it a bit messy to use as, like golden syrup, it's very sticky and seems to get everywhere. If you get it on your fingertips they turn black, I can never decide whether it discolours the skin or just that any dirt sticks to it. Bottles usually come with a pair of disposable gloves.

Works well and useful stuff nonetheless.

Just a quick follow up - I have a bottle beside me: "100% waterproof" it says on the label.  Oh, and I treat it like Cyano - squeeze a bit on a old business card, and apply with a toothpick so it only goes where I need it.

Original_Gorilla-glue_3x4_lead.jpg

Ah, but see Mickey, I'm in Perth (Australia, not Scotland) so wont have seen the "as advertised on TV" that the OP will have - so I may well be in the wrong!!!  Or at least, waffling about a glue that I use, that the OP may not be planning on buying... :-)

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I have no experience of this product, but have seen TV ad's for it recently and was curious. The ad's don't mention anything about wood glue, so I guessed it was being sold as a "do anything" adhesive.

I'll just have to buy it and try it!

Ed

There are 2 types of Gorilla glue.

1. Gorilla Glue - Brown expensive sticks anything and waterproof

2. Gorilla Wood Glue - A high grade water resistant PVA

Both can be used on wood,

Hope that helps.

I use the Gorilla wood glue exclusively,I really like it and it's sandable.

All my Scalescenes stuff is put together with it,I have it in a "Fine Tip" applicator but thin it slightly with water which I find helps to prevent clogged tips.

Screwfix stock it in the UK

Allan

I wasn't very good at woodwork at school - and in those days you used to get a clip round the ear for poor work. Never did me any harm though, apart from tinnitus...

I used to mix PVA and sawdust together in an attempt to "fix" poor mortice and tennon attempts - come to think of it, it's probably this duplicity that earned me the punishment.

For card I like "Rocket" for it's instant joining properties.

Polystyrene (plastic not the expanded stuff) - I use liquid "poly" which goes on with a brush and "welds" the items together.

"Superglue" (cyanoacrylate) is good but seems to go off as soon as a new tube is opened.

• 6 months later...

Gorilla glues are an American product, very popular, find it in Walmart or most general stores. sets faster if the surfaces are slightly damp but needs clamping if you want the surfaces not to move because of the foaming. I keep mine in the fridge for longer life, not my life you understand!

Edward

• RMweb Gold

I can't comment about Gorilla Woodglue - never tried the stuff.

However, I have tried the "standard" Gorilla Glue - it might be a bit messy - and it does expand / foam up a lot - but I've found it to be amazing stuff.

It's the only thing I've found that can effectively stick leather workboot uppers back onto  moulded PU soles (and the bond seems to have held quite well for several months, too - quite an achievement, given the typical wall to wall rain amazing weather that South Wales is well known for).

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with what you're saying.

However, it's interesting to note that Screwfix are describing the standard Gorilla Glue as "superglue" - even though there is a product officially known as "Gorilla Superglue" mentioned on the same page.

My reason for bringing this up is that I used to use what are generally known as "superglues" on a routine basis in a previous job - CA (or cyanoacrylate) adhesives - it was fair to say that some of these seemed to be rather more super than others.

Never having tried the Gorilla branded one, I don't what it's like - however, in view of my very positive experience of their "standard" product, I'd probably be tempted to give it a try.

Huw.

I answered this then chucked it away...

Gorilla Glue isn't cyanoacrylate (unless they've started a new range I'm unaware of).

It seems a bit of overkill if it's being used on a toothpick, also it tends to rely on expanding in flat joints for mechanical strength, and that wouldn't apply in tiny quantities.

For wood glue I always use Titebond

http://www.axminster.co.uk/titebond-original-wood-glue

which works very well. Much better than white PVA (in woodworking).

We really need a bit more information about what is being stuck to what.

Gorilla Glue is a brand covering a number of products.

The brand name is strongly linked to the foaming brown wood glue, which may have been their first product, but there is also Gorilla Glue PVA and Gorilla Glue cyanoacrylate

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-7805001-15g-Super-Glue/dp/B001IY82FM

Edit: looking at 'other products' in that link, the foaming glue is described as 'original Gorilla Glue and also featured are a two part epoxy and a tape, a 'duct' tape by the look of it.

Archived