When did 4 wheel milk tankers stop being used in favour of 6 wheel milk tankers?

Black Sheep

Been considering adding a dairy to a layout I'm planning, however I've been wanting to model a milk train for a while. However I appear to have missed the boat on Dapol's N gauge milk tankers for the period and location I'm modelling (1940's north west so I figure it's more likely milk would be heading south for Lancaster / Manchester than London)

What I'm trying to work out is, when did the 4 wheel tankers stop being used for milk traffic in favour of the 6 wheel tankers?

Were the 4 wheel tankers used in express traffic in the same way 6 wheel tankers were?

Thanks

Curiously, I was just reading about the SR's fleet whilst having a post-work soak. The SR's fleet of 4-wheel wagons, at least, didn't last long; introduced in 1931, they were replaced by six-wheelers by 1937.This was due, at least partially, to their ability to convert milk into butter. The tanks were re-used with six-wheel underframes; being notoriously 'careful', they re-used some of the underframes for 20t coal wagons.

I suspect the same occurred on the other railways which had introduced tanks.

Archived