Loksound 100 ohm and 4 ohm speakers,

Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Ive just dug out a rather old (in DCC terms) Loksound V3.5 sound decoder Im going to re-fit in an American outline SD40-2.

I was wondering if any one knows why Loksound went from using 100 ohm speakers in the V3.5 to the more conventional 4 to 8 ohm in the newer V4?

Furthermore, what effect (if any) does the vastly different resistances have on sound performance?

This might do better in DCC Sound.

There is no particular answer to your question. Speaker performance on sound decoders is more affected by installation issues than it is by quality of the speaker itself.

the ohmage of the speaker is geared to the output transformer on the chip and no discernible difference in performance is noticeable between a V3.5 with 100 ohm supplied speaker and a V4 with 4 ohm supplied speaker. The aftermarket in speakers is better served by the V4 capability to use 4 or 8 ohms although the more common 8 ohms does give a slight decrease in volume. I believe that the chip output power of the V4 is greater than the V3.5

• RMweb Premium
dwhite4dcc, on 16 Jun 2014 - 23:05, said:

This might do better in DCC Sound.

There is no particular answer to your question. Speaker performance on sound decoders is more affected by installation issues than it is by quality of the speaker itself.

the ohmage of the speaker is geared to the output transformer on the chip and no discernible difference in performance is noticeable between a V3.5 with 100 ohm supplied speaker and a V4 with 4 ohm supplied speaker. The aftermarket in speakers is better served by the V4 capability to use 4 or 8 ohms although the more common 8 ohms does give a slight decrease in volume. I believe that the chip output power of the V4 is greater than the V3.5

That'l do me!

Thanks for the imformative reply, much appreciated.

Archived