E-Z Command Dynamis Point Decoder & Digitrax

I have been busy fitting the low voltage peco point motors to my layout. I have now come to fitting the accessory decoder (E-Z Command Dynamis Point decoder), i have wired up all happily. After figting with the Digitrax manual i have managed to operate the motors i have wired up. However they dont throw properly, when attached to the points. I think this might be due to the lack of umph from the decode., They operate ok when not attached to the point.

In the manual for the accessory decoder it makes mention of changing a CV for the peco motors, however i find  that the Digitrax manual is completely unhelpful at the best of times, and i cannot see how to change the CV - it silent on how to do anything with accessory decoders.  Has any one been in this situation, is the CV comment in the manual a red herring? I have checked the hole under the point and its fine, given it was such a pain to fit the motors in the first place (using the adapter plate), i am rapidly loosing my patience. (My spare time is very limited as we have a 8 month old and my modelling time is very precious). Help! 

IF CV's are discussed in the Bachmann's decoder manual, then you set these on the programming track using exactly the same techniques as a loco decoder.

Can't help with the "no umph",  I don't use solenoid motors.   Some solenoid decoder designs include integral capacitor units to delivery more power.   Note that some Peco motors are not really suited to DCC accessory decoders, some other types are more suitable (change to the internal resistance).

I didn't know there was a "low voltage" peco solenoid.

Is the decoder the 36-561? According to the Bachmann website this is actually an ESU SwitchPiLOT, which I would expect to be up to the job. Are you using a separate power supply, not the DCC bus to power the solenoids? You should try that and use a higher voltage.

Andrew

Many thanks, i have altered the CV on the Bachmann decoder (which is indeed an ESU product), as the advice above. The motors have more umph as a result. I have found, with some help from my wife, despite my initial thoughts the holes in the baseboard are not quite sufficient on most of them. Very annoying school boy error, I used the adapter plates which we a pig to fit as the boards dont split up and couldnt turn them upside down. So a track lifting i will go, a task for another day. Thanks for you advice and help, much appreciated. 

There is the "PL-10", the classic Peco solenoid made from before I went to school, and more recently the "PL-10W" which has a different internal resistance.

Yes, but is it really sold as "lower voltage"?

Andrew

Yes, but is it really sold as "lower voltage"?

I've no idea what claims are made by retailers. Peco say: "Specially wound coils make this motor suitable for use with small, low-output transformer controllers, popular with European manufacturers." I leave it to others to interpret the meaning of "low-output transformer controllers" .

I didn't say anything about voltage, just resistance.

Archived