South African Railways Information

jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

I'm hoping that someone is going to be able to help me.  A good friend of mine is moving to Germiston near to Johannesburg  for the next 6 years to work.  He is a railway enthusiast and would be grateful to know whether or not there is any form of Railfan net forum in the RSA so that he can learn about the network and hopefully get out to take photographs on his days off.   Any information would be gratefully received either by a reply to this post or a PM. 

Jamie

There's a Yahoo Group (sar-L@yahoogroups.com) which has quite a broad base, although it sometimes gets bogged down in past reminiscences and ignores the current scene.  Germiston itself used to have a major steam depot (and a diesel depot nearby) with an A class 4-8-2T plinthed - I don't know whether it is still there and whether the depot can be visited easily nowadays.

Your friend is in luck, there is a very active preservation group in Germiston called Reefsteamers. They are a great bunch and welcome enthusiasts and photographers. They have regular steam trips, photography and open days, they also welcome new members and volunteers. They have three locos that can be steamed including a magnificent Garratt.

They have an open day in July which our modular group attends, we set up our modular layout and can watch the Garratt go past the window.

This is their website http://www.reefsteamers.com

Regards

Veronica

I forgot to add that Reefsteamers is situated in the steam depot at Germiston, the diesel depot is still there too so he can see plenty of diesels and electrics to but access might be a bit more restricted.

There are also newly built high speed commuter trains that run between Johannesburg, Pretoria and Johannesburg airport, they were built by Bombardier and run on a separate network using standard gauge track.

Archived