Blog- Fen End Pit's Blog - Rolling Chassis!

RSS Fetcher

After a heavy week the J39 now has a rolling chassis.

Jigging up the horn guides was 'fun' because the design of hornblock means that there is nothing to prevent it from going outwards until you fit the wheels. As most jigs use a spring to keep anything in place while you solder this doesn't work. In the end I had to use the holes in the ends of the brass horn guide to hold a temporary wire through the little tab soldered on the hornblock for springing.

Wheels were fitted thanks to the loan of the GW models wheel quartering jig (thanks Brian) and it rolls along quite nicely. I had to slightly open the crankpin holes to get just the little working clearance but this was not by much. I suspect one of the hornguides isn't exactly vertical as there is a slight bind in the chassis when rolled with no weight on it. This seems to be as it has a tight spot when the bearings are running at the bottom of the hornguides which disappears when the chassis is weighted to run with them in the middle.

blogentry-7212-12648952712253_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7212-1264895297879_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7212-12648953179175_thumb.jpg

At this point I've departed from the instructions as I want to try and get the loco to move prior to starting to play with inside motion etc. As the drive is going to be via a universal joint from the tender I thought I'd start with the tender chassis. I have to say that this isn't quite as well thought out as the loco in my view. In particular I don't like the way that you can't remove the wheels. To fix this I've slotted the bearing holes and will put a little keeper plate on once the wheels are in place.

blogentry-7212-12648953322568_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7212-12648953494847_thumb.jpg

View the full article

Archived