Using a SwitchPilot to control 4-aspect signals

Hi,

How do I program a SwitchPilot to control a 4-aspect LED signal? What CVs and mode do I need to set so that the signal can be switched between green, red, yellow and double yellow?

I've tried k84 mode, but in that mode either green or red AND either yellow or double yellow are lit, which is not what I want. In k83 mode and user modes, I can get the right signal to light up, but not continuously, only either for a set pulse time or while the key is pressed.

I have read and re-read the manual and searched on t'internet without any luck so far. The SwitchPilot manual suggests it can be done, but I can't see that it is actually explained anywhere and I have so far only come across modellers using SwitchPilots for 2-aspect signals.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Dave

PS I'm using an ECoS with the SwitchPilot.

I can't see in the SwitchPilot manual where it suggests that a 4-aspect signal is possible. You will find that life is a lot easier with a proper signal decoder like a Signalist SC1.

If you are using JMRI it is possible to configure a 4-aspect signal on the switchpilot by connecting a lamp to the A output of each of the four outputs, but that is probably a bit less efficient than you were hoping to achieve.

Many thanks Suzie. I was coming to the same conclusion myself but couldn't quite believe that an accessory decoder supposedly as advanced as the SwitchPilot couldn't control 3- and 4-aspect signals. I had thought of using an A output as you suggest but that would mean using an entire SwitchPilot for one signal (plus I have theatres too). Apparently, it is also possible to use a SwitchPilot and SwitchPilot Extension connected together -

See the second question down in the following link:

http://www.esu.eu/support/faq/switchpilot/

But that's just as bad as far as "port efficiency" goes, so I've given up on the SwitchPilot for my signals. I'll have a look at the SC1 you suggest. Twotonegreen on here has also recommended LDT signal decoders so I'll check those out too.

Thanks again,

Dave

You might be able to do something with the relay outputs on the switchpilot extension - but it is a bit of overkill and too complicated.The main features of the Switchpilot are its ability to support legacy command stations and drive servos.

The SC1 has built in support for route indications up to three routes so will probably be most suited to what you need.

Archived