Lost prototypes - The Newton Stewart & Whithorn railway

Aft'noon all,

Our recent 3 day road trip from the Staffs Moorlands towards Stranraer failed to produce the hoped for visual evidence of the lost Newton Stewart to Whithorn/Garlieston branch(es) whilst driving between Newton Stewart, Wigtown, Garlieston, Whithorn and Sorbie. Once back home I revisited the excellent Ivo Peters Vol 3 video/cine film which includes colour lineside footage of a 1963 railtour to Whithorn and the switch to open wagons at Millisle for a last passenger run to Garlieston in open wagons. Vol 123 of the B&R DVD collection by Jim Clemens also provides colour footage of these events from an 'on train' perspective along with footage of the Kirkcudbright branch and 'Port road' between Dumfries and Stranraer. I chose to order a digital print of the 1921/23 Ordnance survey map, (sheet 91) from the 'National Library of Scotland' as a souvenir of our trip...this includes all of both branches except four miles north of Wigtown to Newton Stewart and will be valuable for our planned return visit to the area in terms of identifying the line of the railway relative to roads. Book wise 'Discovering Scotland's Lost Local Lines' by Julian Holland has been recommended for some then & now comparisons...I eagerly await its arrival.

Useful Scottish harbour branches thread found on this site, thank you.

Dave

Archived