Personalizing RTR Stock Project

Hello to all

I'm Jack and have just joined RMweb to get some help.

My Situation:

After reading the August 2014 edition of 'Model Rail' magazine and reading about the 8f WD Upgrade and Detailing project on the standard Hornby model made me want to do a project of my own but on a budget of £70 including the price of the loco if i wanted to buy one. I am very much into my WD Era Steam locomotives and Stock but also into my BR Blue Era diesels and Industrial Shunters like the Hornby Sentinal. I have been looking around for detailing kits and projects to follow and so on but have found nothing.

Could anyone help please as i would like something to keep me occupied over the summer.

Kind Regards

Jack

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack, and welcome!

Maybe Rob is right, but here's what came to mind when I read your post - how about a couple of industrial diesels, your budget would easily buy you something like a Knightwing shunter kit (with opportunities to modify it as you build) and an old Triang/Hornby dock shunter, again with plenty of scope for updating, modifying, etc.  Both of these would leave you plenty of scope for buying detailing parts without going close to your budget.  The Hornby Sentinel is a good model, and very good value, but would obviously take up a big chunk of your budget.  Use the site search function on here to look for "Knightwing Shunter" and "Dock Shunter" to give you some ideas.

As for the WD steam locos, I don't know much about those I'm afraid, but for BR Blue, there are plenty of smaller Type 2 diesels available second hand, mainly Lima, for around the £30 mark, which would leave you plenty of cash for detailing parts and such like.

JDW

I bought a Hornby class 47, excellent runner for £20. It still runs well, and I've only had to replace one of the brushes. I spent around £5 on a Craftsman detailing kit for the 47, and now it looks like this (it's still a WIP)

post-21426-0-39346600-1405338383.jpgpost-21426-0-01814000-1405338412_thumb.jpg

I rmoved the pipes for painting (although I broke a few) To be honest, I think it would be better investing in a Heljan class 47 accessory spru and A1 models Oleo buffers (either sprung or unsprung). I mostly bought the Craftsman kit for the headcode panel, although Shawplan also make various 47 headcode panels. A1 models can be found at http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/ and Shawplan at http://www.shawplan.com/  Shawplan also make lots of other goodies for D&E modellers (like their amazing roof fans, although they're quite expensive). If you want to do stuff with coaches, Replica Railways are quite good. http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/  I've usd their bogie kits and a couple of other parts, like thir HI headlights.

Cheers, IC125

N.B. I have no connection with any companies listed here.

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't help noticing that by nice coincidence one of our fellow RMWebbers currently has a couple of BR blue diesels for sale in the classified section for very fair prices - no connection, just thought I'd point it out!

Archived