Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

Evenin everybody!

Tonight I finished off the seats in the minibus:

post-6199-0-88240800-1501621601.jpg
There's a few more details to add, like those square plastic headrests but I'm not sure how to make them. They'll look better painted but I need to sort out the mother-in-law for somewhere to paint first sad.gif

I'm not sure what colour to paint the minibus yet, now that I've made it right hand drive I don't really want it to stay German:

post-6199-0-63565500-1501621600.jpg

post-6199-0-18959900-1501621601.jpg

I did abit of other work on the some stock - but thats on my new shiney stock thread (see below) :D Tomorrow I'm going to dig out the brick-plastic and get to work on either the station buildings or the sides of the viaduct under the station.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Today I finally got some work done on the viaduct sides - its a job I wish I'd started after getting a desk rather than now, but its started now so theres no turning back! The viaduct under the station is 62cm long, which is 12 arches sad.gif

post-6199-0-93134500-1501621480.jpg
The pillars will be glued on later when I've cut out the card backing. I decided that because the track is close to the viaduct edge some refuges should be cut in, here is a close up of the test build:

post-6199-0-57003300-1501621480.jpg
Thinking about it I really aught to have done the test build on a scrap piece and will definitely rebuild this one when I've finalised the design (I need to make 12 - 6 on each side). It doesn't look very Great Central to me (or that good for that matter) but I'll give it another go and see what happens.

Lots to do

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I managed to get a bit of painting done today while hiding form the mother-in-law, first up was the two vans:

post-6199-0-92571600-1501621312.jpg

post-6199-0-56048500-1501621313.jpg
The paint on the bonnet of the blue one needs a bit of a rub down and a third coat with a spot of thinner, and the rear plates need sorting out, cos I couldn't get a straight line wit hthe trusty cocktail stick! Hopefully she'll go out tomorrow and I can work on other details like numberplates and painting the lights, hubs and a second coat on the seats. And steering wheels.

Next up was what I really should have done yesterday:

post-6199-0-78673000-1501621433.jpg
A mock up of the refuges on the viaduct. I decided to try what a simple opening with railings would look like, and I think its the way forward. I'm not sure whether to make the railings from plasticard or get some etchings done. But its better than what I did yesterday, so I'll see about sorting out yesterdays work later tonight.

And, I got a pack of wheelie bins during the week - so my mind keeps turning to doing a bit more work on the back yard of that house I've still not finished.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

Glad to see you're getting busy again Simon. The viaduct is going to be an impressive structure. For the railings on the refuge: Have you thought of using fine wire, like fuse wire perhaps? You could glue it rather than solder it.

For the long narrow strips of brickwork along the viaduct ... do you cut those by hand, or use a chopper? I find it's quite difficult to cut a long straight line just a brick or two high without error, or without it curling. Keep thinking I should buy a chopper.

I was wondering whether we could have a few 'overview' pictures of the layout sometime? It would be good to see how the various structures sit in relation to each other.

Anyway - keep up the good work, inspiring stuff!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mark - I saw that amazing toilet of yours and had to get my modelling bits out of storage!

I'd thought maybe wire would be better than etches, I hadn't thought of fuse wire though - but I'll investigate it tomorrow for sure :D How thin does fuse wire come and is it reasonably stiff? The more I think about it the more ideal it sounds... Thanks hehe!

Erm I just use a scalpel and metal ruler to cut along the brick courses, it does curl a bit but it straightens out when I glue it down (I do two or three gentle cuts rather than one heavy cut). Longer strips are quite problematic to be honest but where they go wrong I just cut them off where they start to go wonky and keep them for shorter sections (the chimneys on the pub were mostly made from rejected strips of the last viaduct). Single brick courses are the hardest, so I try to avoid them if I can. I might investigate getting a chopper - although the slaters plasticard isn't quite straight on the sheet thinking back to the work I've already done on the layout it would have been really useful!

I'll see about overview pictures - I need to do a bit of cardboard work on the viaduct side first so it can be stood in position so might be able to get some up if its light tomorrow - I've not seen the layout set up since January :(

Keep up the good work on Frankland too!

Simon

Thanks Simon.

The fuse wire I bought from my local Handy Store has probably 12" or so each of 5amp, 15amp and 30amp wrapped on a card. The finest I'd guestimate at 0.25mm - small enough for a door handle on a carriage or something - so either that or the next one up (about 0.5mm) should do for railings. The smaller gauge isn't 'stiff', but I don't imagine you're going to be handling that part of the structure much.

Thanks for feedback on cutting strips of brick :yes:

Funny, but whenever someone mentions my 'toilets' I get a fusty smell in my nose :bad:

what do you guys mean by chopper?

Rob,

It's a board with a cutter attached.

Good for doing square and angled cuts accurately.

The original is from NWSL in the US and the other is from Micromart, again in the US.

HTH

Khris

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

what do you guys mean by chopper?

I assumed some sort of guillotine-slash-rotatrim was meant by chopper but am always happy to be corrected haha - its just been a scalpel/craft knife and metal ruler for me though :D

Yesterday I got a bit of work done on the viaduct sides - I added the brickwork detail to the tops (front and back) and added the brackets for where the fusewire-handrails will go:

post-6199-0-62152000-1501620467.jpg
Then I made the mountboard backing for the viaduct, glued it into place and added the piers (they need the details adding but I ran out of modelling time yesterday)

As requested I managed to get some overview pictures of the layout, which hopefully show how the buildings all fit together. They're a bit dark and hopefully not too blurry (the mother in law keeps the house really dark which makes photography a pain)

post-6199-0-14423700-1501620467.jpg
Here is the overview of the layout - there's more buildings to make: the other side of the viaduct, the platform buildings, the pre-fab part of the car dealership, a factory behind the station and a half relief factory, as well as finishing off and sticking down all the other buildings and landscaping and stuff...

post-6199-0-61080400-1501620466.jpg
This is the street, showing the new viaduct in place with the other buildings already made - it needs trimming to fit (I made it too long on purpose so I could ensure a good fit at the other end) and the details adding - so much to do, with the prospect of another housemove too sad.gif Its times like this I'm glad that Gresby is only 7ish x 1!

Lots to do!

Simon

PS - I did edit the pics so they were the right way up, but now they seem to be unedited again - perhaps they'll sort themselves out later - if not will repost.

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At least you have room to put the layout up.

Pics appear to be the right way up to me even without turning the computer over. tongue.gif

• RMweb Premium

For some reason the middle one is showing as un-rotated and the bottom is un-cropped on mine, but it might be cached or something! Theres floor space to put the layout up for about 10 minutes, but nothing like the space I had in Helsinki (and I'm having to move house again pretty soon so who knows what the future brings!)

Thanks for the over-view. I was just interested to see the whole, and where things sit in relation to one another. So thanks for that.

I don't know about you, but I rarely take notice of my layout from above, I always get down and squint at it from ground level. It's just sometimes interesting (and useful as a measure of overall progress) to actually make a point of looking at the whole to see what 'real' progress I'm making (all quite subjective of course), or what I may tackle next.

Here's an example of a Medium chopper at the 4D Model Shop. I understand they're very handy when you need to cut numerous small strips of plastic card to the same size (like parts for window frames), or as already mentioned, ensuring larger sheets are cut square. Probably useful for people who use plastic card a lot, rather than occasional users.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think one of those choppers would be really useful - maybe not for cutting the brick sheet but I use loads of plasticard strip which I can never seem to cut straight!

I know what you mean about never looking at the layout from above; I see the boards from the ends all the time because of how they're stored and when they're out I tend to look at the street - which I think is why my modelling activities have radiated from the street. I always forget how long it is until I see it from above (I'm so used to working on one board at a time I think of it as only 3ft long) and I always wonder how much of the street and viaducts will be seen/looked at when the upper level (the trackbed, station, signals and trains) is completed...

Still so much to do!

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

I've not updated in a while, mainly because I've been working on stock for Gresby and other layouts (on my workbench thread) but I've been offered and accepted for my first exhibition... so I best get cracking with the layout!

The viaduct side has made no progress since the middle of June, mainly because cutting out the brick arches as the worst job on the layout and theres 12 arches sad.gif I know whats going underneath the arches though - which is a start :D

I also did a spot of shopping the other day:

post-6199-0-84446100-1501620761.jpg

Lots to do!

Simon

PS. Exhibition details to follow when everythings confirmed!

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

All very exciting; not only have I actually re-started work on the layout (baby steps mind you) I've also been talking with my genius-basebaord-building-friend and work is afoot on a pair of extension boards :D

First up, the bit of modelling I did:

post-6199-0-56829400-1501620815.jpg
Its not much, but I found the fuse wire so I can do that when the blue has dried. I've also found my cutting compass thing so I can start making the pesky arch things (that I've forgotten the proper name of) and then do the fun bits inside the arches.

I've also been collecting various goodies to go on the layout:

post-6199-0-03955200-1501620815.jpg
Streetlamps - I don't need many because I don't have much street

post-6199-0-59380200-1501620814.jpg
Some furniture to scatter in the back gardens of Gresby's most desirable residences

post-6199-0-31216300-1501620814.jpg

post-6199-0-18065900-1501622750.jpg
Another pair of cars and a Tomix tanker to be converted into a builders lorry.

Its all go in Gresby...

Lots to do! (and I'll even do it this time)

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Here is a quick progress report for the work I got done last night:

post-6199-0-08711700-1500933057.jpg
I've got all the signs ready to print somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Also, I need to make the office doors and finish off details like the airconditioners, alarm boxes, CCTV cameras and lights - but apart from that these arches are pretty much done :D

Also, I've been working out exactly where I'll need uncoupling magnets before I start to finish the ballasting. Does anyone know the dimension of the new Dapol magnets?

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

Excellent work Mr Simon. I know how fiddly this sort of project can be and you've done a good job :)

Can I ask how you're printing the signs?

My reason for asking is I found those I run-off from an office printer don't look good in close-up (the 'dots' are too large). I did print some from one of those commercial photographic printers you find in places like Boots, which were better - but still not perfect.

It may be there isn't a 'perfect solution' for us N gaugers (without resorting to commercial presses).

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by Southernboy

• RMweb Premium

Also, I've been working out exactly where I'll need uncoupling magnets before I start to finish the ballasting. Does anyone know the dimension of the new Dapol magnets?

I've not seen the dimensions for these yet, maybe an email to Dapol?

The aircon units looks very good already.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

I was going to ask you where you'd had your signs done, I'd remembered you saying in a Frankland update about getting them done proffessionally - the ones I did on the home printer were alright for under the bridge but the arches are right along the baseboard front. I was going to see if the art shop in town prints that sort of thing.

Hi Kris,

I'll drop them an email later on (and share the dimensions on here if I get them). The aircon units were cut from the bottom of the MK2 coaches I converted earlier this year - I've taken photos of the work I've done to them which I'll put up later on.

Thanks for your comments guys!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

It seems I've spent most of the day waiting for polystrene cement to dry. Also, I had a bit of a panic that non of my trains would be able to run around the curves on my almost-started extension... then my Dad told me that he'd used unitrack 1st radius curves on his test track (which I was testing on) which was probably why everyting was falling off. Panic over :D

Anyway, today has mostly been spent building airconditioners:

post-6199-0-67718400-1500932853.jpg
Firstly the big-fan-things that were cut off the underframes of some MK2s I converted to non aircon coaches (see workbench thread) were filed square and rimmed with 0.25x2.00mm plasticard strip. Then I decided that they really aught to be mounted off the wall like the ones on the buildings I used to pass between London Bridge and Waterloo... I'd forgotten how building buildings seems to bring out my sadistic side. I made brackets to stick to the wall, and then little brackets to stick the unit to the bracket:

post-6199-0-51490700-1500932854.jpg
It sort of looks like a massive barbeque... This bracket was to hold two units:

post-6199-0-00112500-1500932855.jpg
This was then placed on the front of the club to check it looked OK:

post-6199-0-70240600-1500932855.jpg
The single units are only held up by three brackets underneath, so they'll probably fall off - I might strengthen them somehow before I fit the arch to the layout, but the real ones are very flimsyly attached.

post-6199-0-02721200-1500932857.jpg
Painting them was quite tricky because there is nothing to hold on to, so I thought if I painted the brackets and stuck them on I could paint the units more easily. I'll get back to you on that though! The office door for the club is setting as I type and I'm going to shape an alarm box before bed.

post-6199-0-68413900-1500932856.jpg
I had wanted to lobb a roadcone onto the porch of the club, and remembered having one in my tin that I could detail and weather a bit, but when I put it up there as a test it was half the size of the porch, so scratch that! Does anyone make smaller cones?

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 3