Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I've finally forced myself to do a job that I've been putting off for months. It was the threat of grounding and bed without tea that did it I think, also, it was beginning to hold up the rest of the build. So here were are:

post-6199-0-63529400-1500932638.jpg
Arches. I use a cutting compass thing, but the grippy plastic edges on the handle thing get a bit sharp and I always find other things to do. Next time I do a viaduct layout they're being etched. I cut and scribed enough for the 12 arches I'm working on now, plus the 3 I'll need for the next board. This afternoon I scribed in the bricks and fitted the arches to the holes:

post-6199-0-09879100-1500932639.jpg
Here is the first one in. I've done 4 in total now and my brain aches, so I'll do some more tomorrow.

post-6199-0-17732300-1500932638.jpg
I don't know why I put off doing the doors for the three offices I've just built, probably because I couldn't remember how I did them last time. Would fitting door handles be a step too far?

I'm going to go and sit in the sun now.

Lots to do (tomorrow)!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Progress! Woo. Not on the buildings though, I've had an A5 spread all over my workbench so not really felt like doing windowframes and all that. Last night I prepared the old traverser board for the layout being extended:

post-6199-0-47919600-1500932538.jpg
I had to take off about an inch of track and the wiring for the traverser. It will be raised up to the level of the trackbed for the mainlines and a bit of old goods yard, with the track going round to the fiddleyard on the next board.

post-6199-0-01525500-1500932539.jpg
I cut out templates for the trackbeds on the extra boards and then took the whole lot round to Mr Webster for the extra boards to be made and fitted.

post-6199-0-40489300-1500932539.jpg
A tantalising glimpse of the new end boards. :D

Before it went I took the measurements for a building I can be getting on with in while the boards are away.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I've been busy again :D while the layout has been away I suddenly got a layout building urge and started work on one of the factories to go behind the viaduct. After doing a bit of designing I cut out the basic shape and the windows and doors:

post-6199-0-00855500-1500932316.jpg
The I added the window and door frames:

post-6199-0-74219600-1500932317.jpg
I'll do the smaller metal frames by scoring the glazing and painting in the score lines. Next came the inner skeleton, with 1mm plasticard walls for strength and inner floors so it looked good:

post-6199-0-40012600-1500932316.jpg

I've just made the metal/plastic cladding for the shed part from grooved plastcard, I've got details to add but the cladding's pretty much ready to paint:

post-6199-0-94790900-1500932316.jpg

Best get painting - lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Thank you for your kind comments :D The plasticard came about mostly by necessity - I didn't have access to a decent printer when I started the buildings so I taught myself to use plasticard instead. Its good to be doing buidings again; I got myself a bit bogged down doing stock!

Last night saw the final touches to the front of the factory, I've just got a bit to do to the flat roof and I'll be ready to paint it. Here's the first shot of what I've done so far in the cold light of day:

post-6199-0-75226900-1500932219.jpg

Thanks again :D

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I have finally managed to get the factory painted. I would say it the only downside to working in plasticard is that everything needs at least two coats and the windowsills and then the brickwork round the windows always needs extra coats to touch them up... but here is the factory fully painted:

post-6199-0-08187900-1500932085.jpg
Just a few jobs left to do - glazing, weathering, some sort of basic interior (office blinds hehe) and some security cameras and outside lights. Its place on the layout is behind the viaduct so I won't be going overboard. The lettering on the side of the bilding is meant to be the 'unfaded' bit where the old sign used to be. I'll be making a new sign to be mounted slightly over the old one, and it'll all be weathered together.

Yesterday we went to Spalding show, it was very good but very hot (made worse by me being dressed for November) I picked up a few bits and bobs for the layout:

post-6199-0-56037000-1500932085.jpg
Mostly bits for the builders merchant, but I'm sure one of the other properties in Gresby will benefit from getting aircon.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I went to see the new baseboards yesterday and I'm well impressed - My glamorous assistant persuaded me to keep the layout as double track all the way round rather than singling the line at the station end... it all sounds very sensible actually but I hadn't really thought of it. All I need to do is move one point when it comes back here and I'll be good to go :D I didn't take any pictures on this trip though :(

Also yesterday I started on the other car showroom, which will sit at right angles to the arches at the front of the layout:

post-6199-0-15613400-1500932001.jpg
The front. When I've painted up the inside and put some cars in I'll fit the big glass doors and big wooden front thing.

post-6199-0-51031900-1500932000.jpg
The back. I'm thinking that some signal mesh will look right for a security grill.

I'm thinking of using the ratio corrugated metal sheets for the roof but wandered if there is anything available that looks better?

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I've done a bit more on this 'ere car showroom, it needs a few cars and then I can get on finishing it off (I might even leave all the cars intact this time) internally its pretty much finished and I made a start on the roof this afternoon:

post-6199-0-14210400-1500931863.jpg
I'm not sure why i cut the foil into squares rather than just strips, but it looks pretty good. Also, it was free which makes it even better.

post-6199-0-24314800-1500931865.jpg
This half is ready for painting, and some supports for the front putting on it. I'll put a 'felt' patch on the bit I accidentally flattened - maybe thicker foil would be better for the bigger corrugated roof i need to build.

post-6199-0-36035400-1500931864.jpg
The view from the front. A little blurry, but I'm sure it will photograph better when theres something for the camera to focus on.

Now then, where did I put those cars...?

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mark! It is the second car show room, but its a new building in the same 'car lot' if that makes sense? Its very exciting getting the new baseboards - I pick them up on saturday afternoon :D

Hows Frankland coming on?

Simon

HI

Looking very good, here is a little tip that was passed on to me, using Slater brick sheets.

As the sheets are made the brick work is blown out in the moulding machine, giving the brick a round look to them on the surface.

If you use some 600 wet and dry over the top of the sheet this removes the roundness of the brick, also helps with painting the sheets afterwards as it helps the paint to key.

Do this lightly all over the sheet before you start cutting them up.

Hope this helps

All the best

Darren

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Premium

Hi,
Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go on the next building I do - I usually run a file/bit of wetndry over the brick surfaces that have window cut-outs in them to flatten where I've cut the holes out.

I got both sides of the roof covered:

post-6199-0-58704100-1500931741.jpg
I've not stuck the front half on yet - I need to stick the cars and the front window first - and when I do I'll join the two halves of the roof and paint it.

post-6199-0-25786200-1500931741.jpg
The front in its first coat of green. I'll weather it to match the arches when I'm ready to stick down the car lot.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Nevermind the news from Warley - the news event of the weekend is that Gresby has come home, and is bigger! Woo!

post-6199-0-03780300-1500931543.jpg
Here is the original pair of boards, with the fiddleyard bolted on behind, up in my Dads workshop - its temporary new home. The new end boards are on the floor underneath, I'm no ready to put them up just yet (and theres not space to leave it up permanently so I won't)

I've got a slight issue with the baseboard joins between the original boards:

post-6199-0-80245300-1500931543.jpg
Its slightly too big to leave and take a run up to so I think I fillet of wood or something just to fill the gap and then I can relay the track over the join (I'm glad I didn't use anything substantial to fix the track to on the joins) Theres a bit more track I need to alter on the platform and loop - so does anyone know how to unglue ballast?

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If the ballast is stuck down with PVA just boil the kettle pour the water into a mug grab a largish paint brush and use this to put the water from the mug onto the ballast.

• RMweb Premium

Ah brilliant thanks Kris! I'm pretty sure I used PVA - or it might have been some random Finnish glue - but boiling water will be the first thing I try. Do i have to let it soak for long?

Thanks again

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

This morning was the first time I've gone and done a spot of work on the layout out in the shed, and the first time ever with the layout on legs - it was much better, the legs give it a good working height rather than hunching down over a bed or a pair of chairs.

post-6199-0-08847300-1500931425.jpg
I test fitted the car showroom, it looked a bit small until I put a car in the gap and realised it was OK. Its been measured up for a concrete surround which I'll get cracking with later. I'm not overly impressed with the Scenecraft cars, and hope the bus will be better - but they were £1 a pack at Warley so they'll do for filling a showroom most people will never look into :D

Next up was (gasp) track lifting. Only a little bit at the baseboard ends. I thought there would be a lot more ballast to soak out of the way, but aparently I got bored of ballasting pretty quickly in Helsinki so it was quite quick. Also, the glue I used seemed to be some sort of prittstick-based glue and was no match for a spot of boiling water:

post-6199-0-28651400-1500931424.jpg
The first bit up. I'd forgotten how well hidden my powerfeeds were, so putting in new ones will be fun :(

post-6199-0-44028300-1500931425.jpg
Station end. The point that I've taken out will be re-sited on the next board.

post-6199-0-77207600-1500931425.jpg
The middle join, I'm letting it dry a bit before packing the gap and relaying the track here. I'll test how well it runs before cutting the rails (it was a bit bumpy here before) hopefully it will be 3rd time lucky for this join!

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I've been doing work, but not really taking photos because what I've been doing is pretty dull and unphotogenic... Like the concrete slab round the showroom - very dull:

post-6199-0-28263700-1500931257.jpg
I'm sure your actual concrete afficianado would not think this dull, but I'm bored with it - and I've done is paint it grey (3 coats now)

I also gave the factory a test-fit. I knew I would build up the ground level slightly for it, but I didn't realise it would need so much:

post-6199-0-84014300-1500931256.jpg
I'll build up the ground about half an inch for it.

post-6199-0-96589300-1500931255.jpg
Also, I need to thin the building down slightly - its slightly too close to the viaduct for my liking. I'll wait to get the backscene done before cutting it down though.

Lots to do!

Simon

PS. Oo Post 300! Never thought I'd get his far :D Thank you to everyone who's given me tips and advice and encouragement - just need to finish it now!

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It could do with a few mm taking off the back - at the moment its about a scale 2 ft away from the wall and 2ft above it, so if I was a Gresby Burgler I'd be on that roof in no time! Dad's shed is quite a difficult place to take pictures in so the angle showed the height more than the distance from the side.

I'm almost ready to put the track back down and then I want to get the bridge to factory area finished enough to take photos for an Exhibition Manager - Eek!

Lots to do!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Just a quick update: I've laid a bit of track (but only a few feet so I didn't take a picture) and pretty much finished the car showroom:

post-6199-0-78384800-1500931034.jpg

post-6199-0-30750200-1500931035.jpg

post-6199-0-93390300-1500931035.jpg

post-6199-0-56542600-1500931036.jpg
I'm pretty sure the concrete pad will flatten out when its stuck down - fingers crossed!

Theres just a few details left to stick on - signs, alarm box, gutters/drainpipes, doorstep and more weathering. I also need to find my white glue and stick some grass in the cracks on the concrete (and add some cars to sell) Today I might make a start on relaying the board joins then with a spot of ballast and a temporary sky I should be able to get pictures done.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Who'd have thought laying a bit of track over a board join would take so long? Last time I laid this join there was a bit of a bump, and I wanted the trains to run smoothly... so I ended up messing around with slivers of card for hours :( Its down now, and ballasted. I'm just waiting for the ballast to dry (I used extra glue for boardjoinstrength) and then I can cut the rails.

I have, however, happened upon a few minor issues: I was so tidy about my feed wires I can't find them so testing will be fun, and the new ballast I bought today which should be identical to the old ballast isn't:

post-6199-0-58990900-1500930755.jpg
So I'm not sure what to do about it... I had thought that like the old ballast it would turn colour slightly when stuck down. It hasn't, infact its gone whiter. Hmmm. There's a man on here who used inks on his ballast to make it look amazing, so I'll look out for his thread/blog and see if its something I could have a go at - and then theres always painting the track!

The good news is, I'm almost ready to take my first "publicity photo" haha

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So I've taken some shots of the layout, with some temporary sky... theres so much left to do!

post-6199-0-43044200-1500930582.jpg
Must finish the factory windows...

I'm not sure if the weather in Gresby will perk up at all, but I quite like the leaden sky so maybe it will be a feature of the backscene.

Must go and lay more track.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2