Bypassing DCC on a Bachmann 56xx

84f

Hello,

I have just bought this 56xx from e-bay with DCC fitted - I don't know what make of DCC, but I suspect it is manufactures OEM.  After reading up on the DCC site I was figuring that I could run it on DC until such time as I convert to DC. However, it won't run on DC, at least it ran for 2 seconds or so and now will not. Have now researched on here and it seems that some decoders do not like DC (e.g. Bachmann).  OK, so simple to remove the chip I am thinking and to find the wires from the pick up and join them to the wires from to and fro the motor,  but when I opened the 'bonnet' I am confronted by a hole mass of circuitry and wires and not obvious what to. Consulting the Bachman site has not helped, I couldn't find a wiring diagram.

Please can someone point me in the right direction?

Also could I have done any damage to the decoder?

I am just returning to the hobby after a 30 year absence so all this is new to me.

Many Thanks in advance

Robin

The decoder will likely be plugged to an eight pin socket. Unplug this and a standard 'blanking plug' will make the loco a regular DC item.

Got a local retailer or modelling friend with one they can give you?

Or, DIY fix. Unplug decoder. You will see two rows of four holes Make two little staples from wire to bridge the pairs of holes at either ends of the rows; ignore the square of four empty holes left in the middle as they serve no function on a model with no lights, smoke or any other accessories.

Archived