Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

After all the shrieking and shouting and nay-saying...

The key difference, which you partly stated, is that the modules are individually owned and built to a common interface.

So yes, theoretically it means you can do some running of trains at home.

But the bigger part is that you are no longer confined to the limitations of the club.  This means that even if half the members of the club are too busy to rent a hall and set up, you can take your module to any other meet up that might be occurring in the UK and have a day/weekend of operating.

Or not confined if the club has a decent permanent layout. Which most of the ones I knew had. e.g Walnut Creek with it's Diabolo Lines.

I don't know the exact dimensions, but UK 4mm stuff will fit through 3.5mm US loading gauge gaps. It will probably fit through 3.5mm Euro loading gauge gaps unless it is a large vehicle and the the gap is built very close to the minimum gauge. (although it should be noted that the UK, US and Europe all have multiple loading gauges).

What may have issues is 3.5mm European and US stock on 4mm layouts. Most European stuff will be OK for height, while US hi-cube boxcars and double-stack containers will be too tall, but the real issue comes with things like platforms, The US and European loading gauges go pretty much straight up from about 12-18 inches above rail height to cantrail height, while the UK one has a considerable narrower section up to platform height.

post-6836-0-80101300-1406417032_thumb.gif

Note that this is pretty much the standard UK loading gauge, but the smallest of the Euro and US ones

That’s a little  bit out of date, Tim. To  cope with double-stacks and Boeing fuselages, etc., prime mainlines are over 21 feet high. Although pinning it down to actual inches seems to be rather difficult - though I bet Dave1905 knows.....

Most smaller load gauges are on the East Coast (due to aging infrastructure) although each port seems to have at least two approaches over 21 feet. The high width has changed too. 

Rather clever that you scaled up the British one. It took me a while to notice   :drag:

Best, Pete.

Gads.

Are there models of the 70s available?

Bachmann, I think. Better than their US models but not in that livery yet. So far as I know.

They do lack a lot of truck details.

Cheers, Craig, Pete.

Sadly, NOT in H0 scale!!! (4mm/ft 00 scale).

Back on topic, I will be amazed if a British modular system can be worked out!

I'm pretty sure it would have to be on 16.5mm gauge track as there aren't enough broad gauge people to make it work but, . . . . all the other different interests. E.g. I've been a member of 4 different clubs over the past 30 years and only in my first & last do people really come together with the aim of co-operation and working towards a common goal and it's still 'difficult'!

Maybe that's just my jaundiced view from being a mostly H0 modeller though.

Cheers,

John E.

Got to be a first time success for everything.........

In my extremely limited experience of UK modelling it’s the historical precedence of the varying gauges for the same scale that causes the most issues, what a shame that we are plagued by such dozy decisions of the distant past. I wish the group every success.

Best, Pete.

The NA modular group's secret weapon is they use one gauge and one scale for HO standard gauge.   We have many loading gages but use the NMRA clearances as a standard..

If you have many standards you have no standard.

The NA modular group's secret weapon is they use one gauge and one scale for HO standard gauge.   We have many loading gages but use the NMRA clearances as a standard..

If you have many standards you have no standard.

This one is the PECOMO Standard

Andy

Archived