5ft x 1ft OO Gauge

Hello all,

I'm after some inspiration/advice/help!

I've got a 5ftx1ft baseboard that I'd like to turn into a little layout. But I don't want to have a TMD. Instead I was thinking of a small Wagon Repair Depot, a steel terminal or perhaps a civil engineers depot?

I'll be using a casette fiddle yard which I'll attach to the baseboard.

Hopefully I'll post a track plan later with what I come up with. But please feel free to offer up any advice or inspiration!

Dave

This is the intiial plan for the layout I'm currently constructing. My final version is simpler and 6 inches shorter.

It was based on a photo of Port Erin in the Isle of Man, The key feature was to provide specific destinations - under cover, in sheds, rather than a traditional open timesaver/inglenook plan.

Feel free to borrow it/butcher it/improve it/ignore it.

post-4404-0-02435800-1406408191_thumb.jpg

It uses Peco Streamline Code 75 track and was drawn on AnyRail

Regards

Eric

This'll fit your bill:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79493-small-operational-oo-that-isnt-a-tmd-idea/

Now 'modules' have been announced i doubt i'll finish mine but it's based around the standard shunting puzzle arrangement for entertainment value. Narrow as required by removing the station, you'd probably still have space for 1 platform in a 12in width if you wanted a DMU service. Replace sector plate with cassettes and you're there. With correct scenic work (check link at the end of the thread for how the planning stage advanced) then wagon yard can easily become the front of a small TMD for engine posing when required.

HTH

Here we have my take on it. A small terminus set in Kent on the Isle of Grain.

Passenger services will be in the hands of EPBs and Networkers.

The small freight terminal is for local traffic but only sees occasional workings operated by RFD but using whatever locos they have at Hoo Jn. Often civil engineers locos are utilised.

The Nuclear Power Station traffic is firmly in the hands of Railfreight Coal 31s, however as with the Dungeness traffic, the occasional 33/73 can appear.

Nuclear trains enter the headshunt and run round before heading off down the branch to Thamesport Nuclear Power Station.

Trains using the freight terminal enter the yard, run round and use the nuclear branch as a headshunt before propelling into the loop to unload/load traffic.

Obviously this can only happen on days when the Nuclear traffic isn't running.

Anyway, it's a work in progress and will keep me busy over the Autumn and Winter.

Feel free to provide feedback or suggestions.

post-16804-0-75448000-1406829660_thumb.jpg

Nice simple plan. 1 possible alteration for a little more operational interest and means other wagon(s) or light engine could be on the layout during a nuke manouver:

post-9147-0-06694900-1406964492.jpg

Oh, and of course if you made it to the correct rail height it could be 'modular' compliant ;)

I've ordered the cassettes and I'm going to use an ironing board to create a table at the correct height to change cassettes. This also means that the Mrs will be happy. As it'll only be a 5ftx1ft baseboard. Apparently ironing boards have other uses as well?

yes they do, emergency surf boards.

Archived