English Electric Class 50 Leasing plates

Rail-Online

Hi,

I have been trying to find a good clear photo of a EE leasing plate as applied to the bodyside of a class 50 prior to purchase. Ideally I would like dimensions as well as I hav been asked to provide data for an etch.

As even thanks in advance to all you knowledgble chaps!

Cheers Tony

p.s. I know there was aphoto in RAG this month (from flea-bay), but I really need a cleared one......

There is a photo of one of these plates in the book "Modern Diesels in Focus" by B J Nicole published by Ian Allen in 1979. ISBN 0 7110 0981 3.

The pic is on P93 and is only of the plate.

The plate is oval and the wording is:

THIS LOCOMOTIVE IS THE PROPERTY OF

ENGLISH ELECTRIC LEASINGS LIMITED

It is on two lines as shown.

There's no indication of the size (unless you know the size of the screws holding it on the bodyside)

John,

You are correct! It is in the 1973 Combine, the blue cover one with Eastfield Oped Day on the front! Thanks also to Keith, althouh I don't have that book.

All I need know are the dimensions, there must have been one up for auction and thereforecatalogued recently...........

Cheers Tony

Thank you Tony, I found the book and picture last night but it looks as if you've got it. I regret I don't know the actual size of the plate but one of the Class 50 preservation groups might be able to help you.

Comparing the picture in Mike's link to the one I referred to, the one in the link seems to be like a "negative" with the centre raised and the lettering recessed into it also the border looks lower than the centre with the countersink for the screws raised.

The photo in the book has a shadow that shows that the lettering and border is raised higher than the centre.

Comparing the picture in Mike's link to the one I referred to, the one in the link seems to be like a "negative" with the centre raised and the lettering recessed into it also the border looks lower than the centre with the countersink for the screws raised.

The photo in the book has a shadow that shows that the lettering and border is raised higher than the centre.

Well spotted!

Yes, the lettering is raised, as is the border to the plate.

Just being pedantic, but would it've been cast in imperial rather than metric units, ie making it 9.5in x 3.5in ?

Regards,

Peter

Archived