Problems with DCC Controllers

Crewlisle

The DCC system I use is Lenz using their LZV100 Command Station & LH90 Controllers.  I recently re-erected my layout for a forthcoming exhibition & started testing my locos.  I found that when I had stopped the locos, they kept creeping forward.  The only way I could stop them moving was to turn off the power.  I thought this might be caused by them not being used for about 12 months.  I contacted Chris at A&H models, who are the Lenz agents in the UK, for any suggestions.  He suggested taking the back off, vacuuming the control knob potentiometer & failing that using an electrical cleaner that can be sprayed into the potentiometer – one that evaporates to leave no residue.  I bought some ‘Servisol Super 10’  switch cleaning lubricant & it did the trick!  I suppose you could use it on any controller.

Lenz potentiometer based controllers can have a problem where when turned to stop they sometimes go to speed step 1 resulting in locos creeping off that you thought had stopped. This is an especially big problem with the LH30 controller where you have to scroll up and down the roster and all the locos start off as you scroll through when this happens. I suspect the problem will be mainly down to wear of the potentiometer where is is most used and it might be prudent to fit a replacement if the problem reoccurs. Rather put me off using the potentiometer based handsets, the Roco LokMaus2 was a big improvement with its rotary encoder arrangement, unfortunately Lenz do not have a suitable rotary encoder handset.

Rotary encoders can exhibit similar problems given enough time. I've got a pair of ancient Digitrax DT100 / DT200 throttles. Both of them have dead spots in their knobs. (ooh er) This leads to nothing happening for a couple clicks then zoom. They also have a tendency to wander up from speed step 0. I'd replace them but as both units are more than 15 years old, Digitrax no longer stocks the correct encoder. The newer ones are just different enough to not fit the old circuit boards.

Andrew, if you know the part number, perhaps the Chinese have a replacement for them?

Thanks. Tried that a couple of years ago via the Digitrax forums. The part was superseded which is why Digitrax changed encoders. The main difference is the current ones have a push button function in the knob which the old ones didn't. This means different pin placement on the circuit board. These things are so old as to probably not be worth salvaging. The DT200 doesn't even handle long addresses.

Archived