• RMweb Gold

I was wondering what had happened to that......

Yer I got a bit carried away Andy :( thankfully it was so skilfully made it didn't break ;)

I'm itching to model but just no time, hopefully I'll try and grab an hour one night, but this weekend is taken up with jobs around the house and I've got the kids evey Sunday again :D

Maybe rather than pressing snooze for 30 min every morning before the gym I should jump out of bed and do some modelling, but I think 4 o'clocks in the mornin is a bit early.

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Are there two four o'clocks ?

Unfortunately yes :( there's the nice finishing work lets have a beer 4 o'clock and the 'why am I getting up so early to inflict pain 4 o'clock' or in most people's cases roll over an sleep for another three hours 4 o'clock.

It's tidy the railway room time tonight though, I've got lots of new containers so hopefully everything can be sorted out neatly and organised, I've been thinking of ways of making the signal pulley stakes to, so I'll have to try and have a little muck around with them if I get chance.

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Realy looking good Paul...

Cheers Neil

Just so frustrating not getting any time over the last week or two, lots I want to do but which do I do first! :) still barrels etc to add around the hut, but I'm not in any rush for them.

I'm looking forward to getting the two embankments started, I can add some of the backscene to the rear one to once I've planned how I'm going to have it.

Thanks, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Apart from tidying the modelling room and sorting everything into new containers nothings be done on the layout, I have started adding extra detail to the 40's though, I've added seats, crew (told you I'd do it eventually Phil ;) ), I've also made some new steam heating pipes for the bogies and I'm just waiting on some evergreen plastic to bits to be delivered to make body lifting brackets.

Not the best pics or detailing but here's some for this evening.

post-18716-0-33718400-1421441267_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-42439200-1421441300_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-47577900-1421441315_thumb.jpg

The cab an figures still need touching up with paint etc and a pic of the freshly painted steam heating pipes. (They're the dodgy looking pipe bits waiting for the glue to dry on the craft knife box).

post-18716-0-24897800-1421441405_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Ahhh, so that's what you do to seal the speaker in!!!!!!I thought you left it in its box and just put blue tack over the little slits!!!!!!Nice one PaulJinty ;-)

Morning Jinty

I couldn't get them to fit the old chassis in the little box so I just use Blue Tac to make a chamber around the speaker an to seal it, Black Tac is easier to use though :)

Thanks to Neil as well!

Cheers, Paul

Hello Paul.

A monument was erected to my Grandfather at this station in 1937 and also to the driver of a train who both gave their lives saving a train full of passengers approaching London when the footplate was engulfed in flames.

The monument was demolished about 20 years ago and the plaque that had been on it was installed on the wall of platform 1 at Lime Street Station Liverpool.

The men's names are Cormack Higgins and Mr.Ball.

yours sincerely

Keith Robinson

Hello Paul.

A monument was erected to my Grandfather at this station in 1937 and also to the driver of a train who both gave their lives saving a train full of passengers approaching London when the footplate was engulfed in flames.

The monument was demolished about 20 years ago and the plaque that had been on it was installed on the wall of platform 1 at Lime Street Station Liverpool.

yours sincerely

Keith Robinson

• RMweb Gold

Hello Paul.

yours sincerely

Keith Robinson

Hi Keith

I've read about the tragedy involving that train and the brave actions of your Grandfather and the driver, I haven't seen the plaque myself but next time I'm at Lime Street I'll go and see it, I hope I do them both proud with the layout and once it near a more complete stage your more than welcome to come and see it. If possible I'll try and replicate the plaque in 4mm and have it lineside somewhere if that's ok.

Thanks for commenting and hope your enjoying the progress.

Many thanks Paul

Hi Keith

I've read about the tragedy involving that train and the brave actions of your Grandfather and the driver, I haven't seen the plaque myself but next time I'm at Lime Street I'll go and see it, I hope I do them both proud with the layout and once it near a more complete stage your more than welcome to come and see it. If possible I'll try and replicate the plaque in 4mm and have it lineside somewhere if that's ok.

Thanks for commenting and hope your enjoying the progress.

Many thanks Paul

I've just read the story of the two hero's. Gave their lives to save many others. I'll take a gander next time I'm at Lime St too, maybe a picture too!!!

I think a small plaque is a lovely touch Paul.

Jinty :-)

• RMweb Gold

I've just read the story of the two hero's. Gave their lives to save many others. I'll take a gander next time I'm at Lime St too, maybe a picture too!!!I think a small plaque is a lovely touch Paul.Jinty :-)

Thanks Jinty

I think I'll try and incorporate it into the 'triangular sandstone brick retaing wall thing' mentioned a few pages back, not sure how I'll do it but I'll do my best.

Here's a link to a photo of the plaque mate, just found it.

http://www.8dassociation.btck.co.uk/EdgeHillLocomotiveShed8A

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Quite a bit done over the last few days, I've been making lifting brackets for the 40's using evergreen bits.

post-18716-0-02110500-1421610917_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-40444900-1421610936_thumb.jpg

I came across how these were made on a 40 thread on here and there pretty easy to make and look spot on.

post-18716-0-09131100-1421611038_thumb.jpg

Once they were dry I painted them with 'dirty black' and then this morning cut them into 5mm lengths.

post-18716-0-55777300-1421611237_thumb.jpg

They were then glued to the under frame.

post-18716-0-42014900-1421611313_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-72605200-1421611365_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-30781400-1421611390_thumb.jpg

Once I'd done both 40's I gave the ends a coat of paint and a light dusting of weathering powder to blend them in.

post-18716-0-60173700-1421611497_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-15371900-1421611571_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-63201400-1421611592_thumb.jpg

I also made the back of the cabs, very crude as the orange cable is made out of orange cotton, their not the greatest but let's face it, the windows on my locos are that dirty no ones gona see em!! :D

post-18716-0-36804000-1421611842_thumb.jpg

Once the 40's were done I went to battle with the polystyrene, I've glued and cut the first parts of both embankments, then spent the rest of the day hoovering up :(

post-18716-0-92830800-1421612131_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-62330400-1421612164_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-02868200-1421612189_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-55687200-1421612211_thumb.jpg

Still got the signal pulley wire stakes to make and fishplates to add to the line to Piggy.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 4

Hi Paul,

The extra details on your two 40's look very good indeed.. its the attention to detail that pulls a layout together. The wire support for the signal and the rail shoes laying on the ballast are prime examples of your eye for detail!

Great to see your now onto the embankments.. these will also frame your boards and give it depth..Brilliant!!

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

The extra details on your two 40's look very good indeed.. its the attention to detail that pulls a layout together. The wire support for the signal and the rail shoes laying on the ballast are prime examples of your eye for detail!

Great to see your now onto the embankments.. these will also frame your boards and give it depth..Brilliant!!

Cheers

Thank Steve and Bri

Like you said it's the small details that pull a layout or model together and it's that which I love doing, I'll have to start thinking about the back scene and I'll really have to order those signals!

Thanks again, Paul

Paul,

Excellent work. I've only just found this thread, after following it from a link on some pictures you posted elsewhere on the site, so I've plenty of light reading for tonight (26 pages).

One question that springs immediately to mind, if I may. It was specifically this that I noticed in your earlier pictures- your choice of ballast. I don't think I've found anyone modelling it quite so convincingly before. I was therefore surprised to see a tub of Carrs ash ballast in one of the photos here. In the picture the contents of the tub look quite dark (I don't know whether you weather it further once used or not). I bought this from C&L and although the texture is comparable to what you are using, the colour is way, way lighter. It is possible that I was sent firebox ash in a mis-labelled tub.

I'm not sure whether to re-order carrs and see if I get the same as you seem to have, or whether I look at something different. The WS ballast is a good start colour, but a little coarse. I have worked hard on getting the plywood sleepers how I want them (a mix of stain, black etc) and whilst they will take some weathering, if I have to paint the ballast totally then it will destroy the look of the sleepers.

Again, my compliments on your excellent work.

Derek

BTW the picture thread that I first noticed was the following, and it is definately one of the best "is it real or model" sets of picures I've seen.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/51262-class-25/

Edited by Derekstuart

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Excellent work. I've only just found this thread, after following it from a link on some pictures you posted elsewhere on the site, so I've plenty of light reading for tonight (26 pages).

One question that springs immediately to mind, if I may. It was specifically this that I noticed in your earlier pictures- your choice of ballast. I don't think I've found anyone modelling it quite so convincingly before. I was therefore surprised to see a tub of Carrs ash ballast in one of the photos here. In the picture the contents of the tub look quite dark (I don't know whether you weather it further once used or not). I bought this from C&L and although the texture is comparable to what you are using, the colour is way, way lighter. It is possible that I was sent firebox ash in a mis-labelled tub.

I'm not sure whether to re-order carrs and see if I get the same as you seem to have, or whether I look at something different. The WS ballast is a good start colour, but a little coarse. I have worked hard on getting the plywood sleepers how I want them (a mix of stain, black etc) and whilst they will take some weathering, if I have to paint the ballast totally then it will destroy the look of the sleepers.

Again, my compliments on your excellent work.

Derek

BTW the picture thread that I first noticed was the following, and it is definately one of the best "is it real or model" sets of picures I've seen.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/51262-class-25/

Hi Derek

Many thanks for the kind compliments, if forgot about those early photos to!!

The ballast is a bit of a mixture of sand, CB Models fine granite chippings and carr's ash ballast, The main lines are more granite chippings whilst the lines off to piggy (the two lines near the back) are mostly sand and carrs ash. I've then weathered the ballast with weathering powders, these being a mixture of black, light and dark earth. I've then added oily bits using black, gunmetal blue and gloss varnish.

Before I added the ballast I spayed all the track and sleepers with railmatch sleeper grime then painted the rails with 'rusty rails' paint.

I hope this helps but feel free to ask if you want to know anything else, I'm glad to help! :D

Thanks again, Paul

Cheers Paul,

SInce writing that I've skim-read the whole 26 pages (which deserve a detailed read later when I get home from work). I see the way you mixed the techniques together earlier in the thread- and your deliberation over whether it looks right or not (it did!)- you've hit that spot on in terms of getting it to look like a serviceable, yet somewhat neglected, look.

People too often on this forum say "oohh is it real or model" as a coy way to make a compliment. Well, Paul, you well and truly deserve that compliment here. I think I am going to have to experiment... I also think reading the thread that I've answered my own question in terms of the Carrs ash ballast as you have several photos showing it in its jar- ie pre weathering.

Mine is about the same shade as the mid grey on a triple grey loco, where as in your photo it looks more like falcon/ intercity grey (is that a fair way to describe the un weathered product?)

Oh and the DAS clay for the mortar.... simple, but I've just tested it and it works really quite well. How can you make something more realistic than to use the real (or very, very similar) product as you would for real?

I am following another thread on this forum of a layout that looks highly realistic and has many "is it real or model" pictures, but I think you've gone one step further in realism.

(excuse the long post- a bad habit of mine).
Derek

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Paul,

SInce writing that I've skim-read the whole 26 pages (which deserve a detailed read later when I get home from work). I see the way you mixed the techniques together earlier in the thread- and your deliberation over whether it looks right or not (it did!)- you've hit that spot on in terms of getting it to look like a serviceable, yet somewhat neglected, look.

People too often on this forum say "oohh is it real or model" as a coy way to make a compliment. Well, Paul, you well and truly deserve that compliment here. I think I am going to have to experiment... I also think reading the thread that I've answered my own question in terms of the Carrs ash ballast as you have several photos showing it in its jar- ie pre weathering.

Mine is about the same shade as the mid grey on a triple grey loco, where as in your photo it looks more like falcon/ intercity grey (is that a fair way to describe the un weathered product?)

Oh and the DAS clay for the mortar.... simple, but I've just tested it and it works really quite well. How can you make something more realistic than to use the real (or very, very similar) product as you would for real?

I am following another thread on this forum of a layout that looks highly realistic and has many "is it real or model" pictures, but I think you've gone one step further in realism.

(excuse the long post- a bad habit of mine).

Derek

Thanks again Derek all these compliments mean a lot and the longer the posts the better ;) it took a while to get the colours right but I just kept adding a bit each day until I was happy with it :)

I'd say the ash ballast is a more of a black colour, they may do different shades though.

Apologies to for no modelling over the last few days, I've been meaning to do a bit each night, but the Mrs has had me out car hunting the last to nights and by the time I have tea an sit down it's nearly ten, although I am tempted to do a bit now :D

Many thanks again, Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it was a bit late in the day but I had to have a go at something, so I've made a start on the signal pulley wire and stakes, I've been researching this for ages and there's all different types, but thankfully I've got photos to go off and the distances between the stakes are all different, with the stakes varying in hight to (makes life easy for me :D ).

This is just my first attempt so going to see how it looks using track pins and cotton, I might try very thin strands of wire to. The pins don't look very much like stakes at the moment but I'll be cutting the heads off them and they'll be painted, I know some stakes were bigger but I don't want it looking to big and drawing attention away from the rest of the layout, I want them there if they're noticed.

Here's a pic anyway waiting for the glue to dry.

post-18716-0-95992100-1421792398_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul