• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jinty it is very fiddly but I have to admit I'm enjoying every minute :)

Phil and Andy the V/Frog comes pre-assembled thank god so it's just a matter of getting it into the right position, here's a pic of it with the dropper attached.

292692E1-253F-4F3D-80B1-C7D6830EDB86_zps

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Jinty it is very fiddly but I have to admit I'm enjoying every minute :)

Phil and Andy the V/Frog comes pre-assembled thank god so it's just a matter of getting it into the right position, here's a pic of it with the dropper attached.292692E1-253F-4F3D-80B1-C7D6830EDB86_zps

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Paul

Didn't realise you'd bought the preassembled 'V's, that's why I suggested a trial, thought you were gonna do that assembly yourself. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

[quote name="leopardml2341" Didn't realise you'd bought the preassembled 'V's, that's why I suggested a trial, thought you were gonna do that assembly yourself. :)

I'm good but I'm not that good ;)

I took the easier route an bought the kit :D

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tonight's progress, installed the slide chairs and the closure rails, so just the tie bars to fit, check rails and couple of cosmetic chairs.

Must admit I'm really pleased with it.

A1831313-5F93-4C0D-A352-5C196C91B927_zps

BCB75E03-478C-4B8A-A863-49A92B478C4C_zps

244DE658-6AB0-42F3-9F05-1C531755082B_zps

7D66F9FB-F02A-4750-9E03-95B6247A4DEA_zps

Cheers, Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Must say I am very impressed. This is not an area I have considered as yet. I will continue to watch your progress and might change my mind in the future about giving it a go.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Must say I am very impressed. This is not an area I have considered as yet. I will continue to watch your progress and might change my mind in the future about giving it a go.

Mike

Thanks Mike, it's something I've always admired and for the last few months wanted to do but never thought I could do or even have the bottle to try it. But if I can do it anyone can, the main reason I gave it a go now is the fact that I knew no matter how long I spent on ELJ OO I just wouldn't be happy with it.

I do highly recommend trying it though Mike :)

Thanks again, Paul

• Like 1

Looking really good Paul, and I note that you're glad you made the switch from OO to EM.

As for making up your own crossing vee's, they're not that bad using the Brian Harrap method. That's what I've used for my OO copperclad turnouts, and more recently I've done a single turnout and a tandem 3-way in 7mm using his method. It's really straight forward and accurate, and doesn't take long at all.

Once again, excellent Paul.

Jinty ;)

P.S: Any news on large green things???? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jinty, I'll have to try making my own V's one day maybe on phase two in a few years time ;)

I've been a bit carried away playing with the track :( I've just got the finishing touches to do to an 08, so once that's done an in the post I'll make a start on the big green things buddy :D

Thanks again, Paul

Morning Jinty, I'll have to try making my own V's one day maybe on phase two in a few years time ;)

I would if I were you, it's not at all difficult esp if you use the various jigs/filing guides available from emgs etc.

I made my first turnout, soldered, when I was 14, one of the guys at the Club at which I was a member gave me the guidance, IIRC, he also provided the materials.

Of course it was pretty mediocre, but practice made perfect and I eventually hit on the idea of producing templates by taking brass rubbings of a Peco turnout (I only had one, the rest were Hornby) and to make turnouts of the opposite hand, I turned the rubbing over and 'inked in' the lines.

All this was done with code 100 FB rail, so a lot of filing!

I got to the point (excuse pun) where I could produce a turnout in about 90 mins, and they would run both directions without checkrails!

Give it a go, 'if I can.....' as they say.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Andy, I'll defo give it a go but prob not on this layout, as I've already got the diamond crossing and I'm ordering the second point soon, when I eventually extend though I'll give it a go, or possibly on the side layout Dyffryn Ardudwy if I ever get time to get that started :D

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

That looks very good indeed. It is giving me the confidence to use EM as well. Plus a slight advantage as I live just north of C & L so if I need advice I know where to go.

Keith HC, Dursley

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That looks very good indeed. It is giving me the confidence to use EM as well. Plus a slight advantage as I live just north of C & L so if I need advice I know where to go.

Keith HC, Dursley

Thanks very much Keith, trust me it's not as difficult as it looks :)

Here's a link to a YouTube video I found and although it's not EM it's O gauge and it's a slightly different method it did give me a few tips, it's worth a watch even if you just skip through it.

Good luck and let me know how you get on Keith.

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Great progress Paul!!!Many thanks for sharingPhil

Thanks Phil, you'll have to give it a try :D although if you went EM I wouldn't fancy the job of re-wheeling all your excellent fleet :O

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Agreed - but might be tempted for Norton Junction on phase 2 - narrow gauge of course!Phil

I'll hold you to that Phil ;) It's quite a relaxing thing to do to be honest, it's scary but once you get into it it gets rid of all your stressed :D well I suppose thants until there's a huge (0!k up :O

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Did I tiny bit this morning by adding the check rails

D82195C7-A20D-424C-9D38-624F152D9F28_zps

But in the real ELJ they should be like this as they meet the V on the crossing (I've balanced some rail on top)

B48D8B2C-90E5-443C-AD42-CFA229BA549E_zps

Is it worth bending the check rail on the V straight an extending it or just keep it as it is??

2F3BCD96-A27B-4948-AB10-53572A634128.png

Extended

AFD21A5C-007D-421F-A7EA-CD16416A5D42.png

Any thoughts guys??

Cheers, Paul