Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul.

You have been a good teacher.

I have booked the weekend off work and I have my Templot templates all ready to go. You never know, I might even actually have something to update on my own thread by then... (or not)

Don't know about being a good teacher, but I hope what I've done can help in some way.

Good luck with the build an I'm looking forward to the pics ;)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

It's seems a very long two weeks with one thing or another and although I more or less completely lost my mojo I've forced myself to do at least an hour each night and at long last I've cracked it!

E5C888EA-E173-4A8F-9D93-763279D52C27_zps

61171810-EFF3-4D32-B910-5E7A64575BB7_zps

43967E1A-D982-4746-A6BA-5D682DE6714A_zps

Still two check rails to fit but the wagon runs through fine, so next up will be to wire it up and fire the whistler up to test it.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 4

Looks great Paul and well done. Have got my first A4 turnout kit from C&L so have been following your build with great interest. Off to get some board to build on but have noticed that I have an A vee correct for an A4 but the blades are B have emailed C&L but they are off to the Portsmouth show this weekend. Pity they could have done the Thornbury show instead. Its the small show not the big Bristol one....Also Yesterday my membership of the EM gauge soc arrived as well so lots of reading...

Keith HC, Dursley

• RMweb Gold

Morning Keith, thanks for the compliments, my first C&L kit turned up in OO gauge, but to be fare they sent out a replacement ASAP so don't worry they'll sort you out.

If you can, you might find it best to build on site if you can it saves trying to move it etc, lots of people do build away from the layout I just found it easier though.

Hope you get on ok an good luck with the build :)

Thanks again, Paul

Hi Paul,

I have no problems with C&L as I live just up the road. Yesterday I called into the shop and the kit was made up for me on the spot. However the shop was shut today as they are off to the Portsmouth show and need to load the van. But not a problem still have lots to read and digest.For this turnout it will be built off layout as its a trial piece eventually for a fiddle yard. Also toying with idea of re-using some code 75 peco track just cut the sleepers and every four or five glue a piece of plastikard giving the correct gauge. Anybody want a couple of cheap medium radius points never used......

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,I have no problems with C&L as I live just up the road. Yesterday I called into the shop and the kit was made up for me on the spot. However the shop was shut today as they are off to the Portsmouth show and need to load the van. But not a problem still have lots to read and digest.For this turnout it will be built off layout as its a trial piece eventually for a fiddle yard. Also toying with idea of re-using some code 75 peco track just cut the sleepers and every four or five glue a piece of plastikard giving the correct gauge. Anybody want a couple of cheap medium radius points never used......Keith

Wish I lived down the road Keith your a lucky man :D

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

You could if I was in it...

Maybe we should all build a layout together then, we can't go wrong ;)

Mr Wales

I meant: don't assume because you can that everyone can as although some can not all can as I can say that I am not one of those who can say I can.

I hope that's clearer.

• RMweb Gold

The glue sniffing helps in the point building, just don't mix beer and glue with point building, that er might of been er the reason er the second attempt didn't turn out to er good :O

Cheers, Paul

As your chemist friend chastised you the other day, Paul, it is NOT glue but a solvent.

I have to admit that I find the 2013 aroma of Carr's butanone has a certain airiness that is not matched by the 2014 bottle. The 2015 bottle is of course a little lacking in maturity and should be avoided and left to age for a few years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right- since you're out of your mind on glue- is now a good time to get a quote for you making my track for me?

That diamond looks damned good- despite being in narrow gauge- and I am very impressed.

Ha ha narrow gauge, your turning into a P4 rivet counter boooooo!!!! The only difference is the micrometer ;)

If I was good at track building I happily would but I'm a novice and it would take me about five years to build your track plan Derek.

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Your track work is substantially in advance of mine, so stop putting yourself down.

As for rivet counting- maybe I am not using P4 any more. It seems that certain prototypical characteristics of (L)NER turnouts cannot be reliably copied into P4, so I am going to try a different gauge that won't give me those problems. In fairness, I have been using REA designs with (L)NER knuckles- which is very close, but not exactly the same, as the LNER used.

Oh and as for track plan- I've decided to go for something less ambitious to start with. It is somewhat simpler and smaller.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Your track work is substantially in advance of mine, so stop putting yourself down.

As for rivet counting- maybe I am not using P4 any more. It seems that certain prototypical characteristics of (L)NER turnouts cannot be reliably copied into P4, so I am going to try a different gauge that won't give me those problems. In fairness, I have been using REA designs with (L)NER knuckles- which is very close, but not exactly the same, as the LNER used.

Oh and as for track plan- I've decided to go for something less ambitious to start with. It is somewhat simpler and smaller.

Thanks Derek :)

Are you going narrow gauge and EM then ;)

Sometimes less is more that's what I've found to be, an unless someone's got a magnifying glass no one will know at the end of the day if it's not 100%, I've put a chair the wrong way around if someone spits it I'll buy em pint!

And onto tonight's update...

I managed to get an hour in I wasn't expecting earlier today, so all check rails are now installed along with cosmetic chairsand the junction is now finished.

Next up it to continue the track work away from the junction and start on the catchpoints, once their done I'll wire it all up properly.

FD9C33D3-BA33-43C5-815E-89ACF1394709_zps

D1AFEDCB-BC55-4E27-A7EC-92B10B47061C_zps

670656B2-3B15-4B13-85CD-557AA24A02B1_zps

EA06A41B-8956-4917-97E5-A46A786B5FA2_zps

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1